My first broody hen experience :)

monnarush

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2016
Good evening. Just wanted to tell my first broody hen experience. I have a silkie hen named Storm, I did not know if she was a rooster or hen until she became broody earlier this month. (she is 6 months old now)

One day my husband did not gather the eggs and I did not get to tend them until very late the next day and I did not check for eggs. The next morning I checked for eggs and tided up the coop and found Storm sitting on 4 eggs that i presume her and the other three girls contributed to. Of course it was at the back corner of the coop and easy to miss in the dark of the evening before. I reached in to see why she had not came out of the coop with the other chickens and she gave me a good peck and a growl type noise and of course I pulled back not expecting this kind of reception from a normally calm hen. I told her that now I can be sure she is a good hen, but due to it being December I pulled her out of the next and collected the egg.

Every day for about two weeks she has fought me, making me take her off the nest and out of the coop. I took to closing the door every morning after letting them out, weather permitted to make her stay out in the cool fall/winter coming air. Finally today she stayed off the nest all day without me having to close the door of the coop. (no other hens had been laying so no eggs were left outside in run area out in the weather.)

Now I presume that she has been broke out her broodiness and I hope will stay that way until spring when the weather and chick raising will be more successful. I did not have a broody box built to put her in but will work on a good plan for the next time broodiness come on at the wrong time of year. :)

P.S. If I had let her keep her eggs what would her chances of raising chicks this time of year be? Also my rooster is new at breeding so I was also unsure of her fertility. All five are approx 6 months old.

Merry Christmas everyone! :) Monna in WV

I have 4 silkies born in April. And I swear at least one of them goes broody every week. It's like they take turns lol I'm no expert but I would think the chicks would do ok but it would depend on the mama hen. I will also wait till spring to let them hatch some out.

I have a Bantam mutt Bird.....She goes Broody all the time.....Since Mid October she is on her 5th time being Broody....Grrrrr!

An easy Broody breaker is a small metal dog crate with wire on the bottom..Sitting up on Bricks....That way her belly cools and the broodiness breaks........

Enjoy the Birds.....

Cheers!

Thank you both :) I will look out for a dog crate and have it ready for next time. I hope they all now wait until spring, what would I do if they all started taking turns going broody this winter LOL Thanks for the help. Merry Christmas!

I bought a small rabbit cage for my broodies and it's perfect for them. I can put the food and water in it and they still have enough room to move. I have put 2 in at once because I had 3 broody at the same time just a few weeks ago. They don't care what time of year it is lol. merry Christmas to you as well. Good luck

That is a great idea also, I have been thinking to give my silkies their own coop and run but so far they are getting along with the current hens I have, so I have time to build. Thanks and Merry Christmas to you and yours :)

Back
Top Bottom