My First Chicken Coop is done. Let me know what you think Please!

LOVE the mural.
smile.png
Good job on the coop!

Coop and run size. It is generally accepted that you need 4 sq. feet per chicken inside the coop and 10 sq. feet per chicken inside the run. That is open floor space.
You state that your run will be 4 ft. x 12' or 48 square feet, enough for five chickens in a pinch. BUT in your coop is 2 1/2 feet by 7' which is a little over 17 sq. feet, only
enough for four chickens. I would error on the side of caution and say four chickens would be the max you should put in there especially since they will be
not free range at all. Crowded chickens are unhappy chickens. Just like humans.

How cute~ what a wonderful coop. I love the artwork on it! I can't wait to add the finishing touches with my paint brush once I finish installing ours! I love to see the children having so much fun with the chicks to!!!
clap.gif

Quote:
We dug down about 6 inches along the edge of the shed (in hindsight I would go a little deeper since my chickens have uncovered some of it), attached hardware cloth to the bottom of the shed with horseshoe nails, bent it in an "L" shape and burried it. We then put bricks along the edge on top of the burried hardware cloth. The bricks were mainly to keep the chickens from digging up the wire but it didn't completely work. Still is pretty secure though. We have not lost a chicken since.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom