My first chicks ship a week from today!

Hermits Garden

Vintage American Featherless Biped
Oct 8, 2018
I realize for most of you, this is a big ol' yawn. ;) Maybe it will be for me in a few years, but I've wanted chickens for almost ten years, and it's FINALLY going to happen.

As I intend to brood them in my art studio for the first week, I spent the morning setting things up to make sure I didn't have some last-minute freak-out by forgetting something. I will have to be diligent to keep the cats and dog out--they will be intensely curious.

This temporary brooder involves an extra large dog crate, a cardboard extension for more space, and a Mama Heating Pad. I have a night light in there, and during the day the room has good natural light. I'll move them out to the coop (w/ their MHP) after the first week--I just want them close during the most fragile time. I still need marbles or small clean rocks for the larger waterer.

The dog crate is approximately 3.5 ft x 2.5 ft, and the extension is just a little more than that in square feet.

Will this do for 15+ chicks for a week? I say "plus" because I ordered from Cackle, and understand I will likely have more than the 15 I ordered.

Attachments

• 101_2417.JPG
    101_2417.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 13
  • 101_2418.JPG
    101_2418.JPG
    364.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 101_2416.JPG
    101_2416.JPG
    382 KB · Views: 5
  • 101_2419.JPG
    101_2419.JPG
    358.1 KB · Views: 6
It should work for the first 2-3 weeks but then you'll have to get something bigger.
They'll have an 80 sq ft coop after the first week, but I'll start them in the 15 sq ft brooder pen within the coop. They'll have their own pop door from the pen, and a section of the run penned off. Of course, all that's moot with these being the only chickens, but subsequent broods (I'll get a few new ones every couple years) will need to have their safe space.

How exciting!
I realize for most of you, this is a big ol' yawn. ;) Maybe it will be for me in a few years, but I've wanted chickens for almost ten years, and it's FINALLY going to happen.

As I intend to brood them in my art studio for the first week, I spent the morning setting things up to make sure I didn't have some last-minute freak-out by forgetting something. I will have to be diligent to keep the cats and dog out--they will be intensely curious.

This temporary brooder involves an extra large dog crate, a cardboard extension for more space, and a Mama Heating Pad. I have a night light in there, and during the day the room has good natural light. I'll move them out to the coop (w/ their MHP) after the first week--I just want them close during the most fragile time. I still need marbles or small clean rocks for the larger waterer.

The dog crate is approximately 3.5 ft x 2.5 ft, and the extension is just a little more than that in square feet.

Will this do for 15+ chicks for a week? I say "plus" because I ordered from Cackle, and understand I will likely have more than the 15 I ordered.
I would skip the night light. Our day olds were in a cardboard box in the basement for just two days. They would go under the MHP and sleep all night. They would wake at first light. Tomorrow morning, they will wake with first light. YMMV. Good luck.

How did it all go for you? No yawn here; your post made me excited for you albeit late to the party.

It should work for the first 2-3 weeks but then you'll have to get something bigger.
Looking at your flock list in your siggie line. Uwwwwww, how are your Brahmas doing? I am enamored with that breed for several years now. Acquaintances of ours had a son in FFA and he had a light brahma and in my mind that chicken stood at about my thigh length. That bird was SO beautiful. Now, I want one. It was recommended I get a hen because a roo will mate with my other girls and the brahma trait (mostly the slow growing part) will be passed on. I kinda don't want my hens taking LONGER to lay. So, I have been mulling that concept over. On the one had I was thinking "Well, if I get enough ladies in other breeds it won't be such a big deal that my Roo, Samson, his offspring may take a few more weeks to mature. :confused:

Looking at your flock list in your siggie line. Uwwwwww, how are your Brahmas doing? I am enamored with that breed for several years now. Acquaintances of ours had a son in FFA and he had a light brahma and in my mind that chicken stood at about my thigh length. That bird was SO beautiful. Now, I want one. It was recommended I get a hen because a roo will mate with my other girls and the brahma trait (mostly the slow growing part) will be passed on. I kinda don't want my hens taking LONGER to lay. So, I have been mulling that concept over. On the one had I was thinking "Well, if I get enough ladies in other breeds it won't be such a big deal that my Roo, Samson, his offspring may take a few more weeks to mature. :confused:
My brahmas started laying at 6 months and that lay almost very day, I would recommend getting them from a breeder because my hatchery quality Brahmas just aren't the same. Overall they are a great breed and a couple weeks makes no difference in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom