My first chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ladygirl43, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ladygirl43

ladygirl43 New Egg

Mar 25, 2009
    I have 10 chicks that are a week & 1 day old. I have noticed they have started getting wing and tail feathers. I live in southwest missouri and was wondering how old do the chicks have to be or how warm outside during the day before I can put them in the chicken hutch. First time doing this and need to learn.[​IMG]

2. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Hi Ladygirl,

The chicks can go outside as soon as you'd like them to, as long as they have enough heat. If you're interested in how and when I moved mine out to the coop, you can check out my blog (link is below in my signature) and start reading at the post titled "the Big Move." I moved mine out there when they were two weeks old and they liked it much better than being in the brooder. However, I provided them with two 250 watt heat lamps because it was still getting into the high 20s/low 30s at night. I took them down to one heat lamp at 8 weeks and no heat lamps at 10 weeks.

I my reading, I have learned that they are generally fully feathered out at about 8 weeks old. At that time, they can handle 30 degrees without supplemental heat. I left one lamp in there another 2 weeks because some of them still liked it, though they didn't need it. at 10 weeks, they all stopped using it so I took it out.

Anyway, point is... they will be fine outside at 2 weeks old or older as long as the coop is very secure and they have the heat they need (90 degrees week one, 85 week two, minus 5 degrees each week to 8 weeks). Those are the temps they need directly under the light... cooler as they walk away from the lamps. They will fine their comfortable temps.

Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by