My first coop build

darkbyrd

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Pisgah Nat'l Forest, GRD
Well, here is the beginning. 6x8, exterior nest boxes. After looking for coop plans that were about the size I wanted, and not finding any, I went with a shed, and just adapted it to a coop. It is being built in my driveway, and will be dragged into place

Without further ado...

4x4 pressure-treated runners, oak rim joists (salvaged from big pallets), 2x4 joists and blocking
78243_dscn0484.jpg

1/2 inch PT plywood floor, 3 walls leaning on my car in background
78243_dscn0486.jpg

Walls up, and DD, my little helper
78243_dscn0487.jpg

Close up of framing for exterior nest boxes
78243_dscn0488.jpg

Still to come: rafters, metal roof, siding, nest boxes, and DW has been talking about a barn quilt...

Last edited:
Not bad at all! Good thing your supervisor is there to keep things on track!

Quote:
And I'm jealous of your snow! My helper got a sled for her birthday a few weeks back, and it is looking like it will collect dust until next winter. We only saw 9-10 inches this year, total.
sad.png

Working on plans for my own coop and kinda in the same boat, having to come up with shed plans instead and modify. I had a couple questions:
1) Are your joists 18" oc?
2) Are your joists spanning the 8' length vs the 6' length?
3) Did your plans show to lay your skids parallel to the floor joists or did you just want them running the long way?
4) Are you going with a shed roof (vs gable, etc).

Look forward to more pics!

Quote:
1) yes, about that.
2) 8'
3) This is actually my plan, my design. Originally I planned the joists to run across the skids. However, the size of the rim joists were slightly smaller than the 2x4's, and would have caused a hump in the floor (or a notch) at the skids. So I put the blocking in instead. If I were to do it again, I probably would run the joists perpendicular to the skids, it would be stronger that way.
4) shed roof, 2' wide salvage metal roof material

This is my first 'real' building project, so I learned alot doing what I did, and still have much more to learn. There were a few mistakes made, none a big deal. Next one will go easier. But what helped alot was having a pack of cedar shims handy. They come in a bundle of 30 or so, and are about 6" long. Very helpful in making up gaps from cutting slightly off, or from warped lumber. Lowes certainly didn't sell me quality 2x4's. Also, the whole thing is put together with 3" exterior deck screws, hopefully making it stronger, and more able to handle the stress of being dragged around.

Back
Top Bottom