My first day with chickens

joleenb

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
I received two chickens this morning and they are getting used to their new home. I'm told by the farmer who gave them to me that after a week they'll be fine to free range.
I introduced my two dogs to them separately, outside the run and the smaller one, a fox terrier mix wanted to dive right in. The other one a Newfoundland/Golden Retriever mix sniffed and wasn't very impressed. I will keep bringing the small dog closer and closer every day until they meet which I hope will work. I've watched the Dog Whisperer video and have read a lot of articles however actually managing the meet will be a challenge. I'm sure once she is used to seeing them, all will be fine as this is her and my first experience with chickens.

Wish me luck!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Hello and welcome to BYC! Good luck!

joleenb

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
Thank you all so much for the nice welcome. I've had the chickens all weekend. Friday night, the first night, I got two gorgeous eggs. Saturday, one. Yesterday, nothing. They did however come out of their coop when I called this morning so it seems hopeful. :)

Fierlin1182

powered-flight
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Hello and :welcome

Good luck with the dogs, and congrats on your eggs! Egg laying might be a bit erratic when they're first starting out, especially if the hens are young.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Top Bottom