My first day with chickens

joleenb

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
I received two chickens this morning and they are getting used to their new home. I'm told by the farmer who gave them to me that after a week they'll be fine to free range.
I introduced my two dogs to them separately, outside the run and the smaller one, a fox terrier mix wanted to dive right in. The other one a Newfoundland/Golden Retriever mix sniffed and wasn't very impressed. I will keep bringing the small dog closer and closer every day until they meet which I hope will work. I've watched the Dog Whisperer video and have read a lot of articles however actually managing the meet will be a challenge. I'm sure once she is used to seeing them, all will be fine as this is her and my first experience with chickens.

Wish me luck!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
frow.gif

Thank you all so much for the nice welcome. I've had the chickens all weekend. Friday night, the first night, I got two gorgeous eggs. Saturday, one. Yesterday, nothing. They did however come out of their coop when I called this morning so it seems hopeful. :)

Hello and :welcome

Good luck with the dogs, and congrats on your eggs! Egg laying might be a bit erratic when they're first starting out, especially if the hens are young.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Back
Top Bottom