My first Easter Eggers

Passionfarms

Hatching
May 7, 2015
South East Wisconsin
My girls will be here tomorrow! New to raising chickens, but went to visit my grandparents chicken farm every summer as a child. Wow, how much I didn't know or forgot. I have done lots of research to afford my girls the best possible start, but still have a few questions I'm hoping for some input from some experts. Have my brooder set up and ready, water resting to come to room temp. I have electrolyte gel coming with chicks. Should I give it to them immediately or water? How long should they be kept in the brooder before I can start letting them outside in the yard? Should I give them 24/7 food access? How much chick feed should I figure per chick, per day? What age exactly do Easter Eggers start to lay? my grandpa always had marans. Thanks for any help :)

You should dip each chick's beak in water 1st, then food :). You will love your Easter eggers! They are my favorites. They can start laying at 16 weeks, but that's pretty early. I give my chicks food 24/7. Can't help you with amount of food. Mine wasted so much at first with those little feeders
1f60c.png
. Have fun with your chicks!

Thanks for the reply! I'm looking forward to them. I hear they have great mellow personalities. How long in the brooder before they can start going out in the coop and the run. should I introduce them for short periods at a time? We have goats and Pigs, but haven't kept chicken since I was a girl. We have foster children. They are very excited. Hope I can make them understand not to much handling first day or so. Looking forward to the fresh eggs too, yum :)

Put mine out at 4 weeks old, couldn't stand the dust & mess! I did keep two heat lamps on them for about a week & a half at night. I confined them to the coop for a week, then let them out in the run. Our tamest pullet is Hildy, a really pretty white with red lacing. One looks like a golden pheasant, & two are orangey gold with undertones of blue. Hildy is really tame. Hopefully you'll have a couple of tame ones for your kids
1f604.png

We do not have our chicks yet but I have read several places they can begin going outside supervised after 1 week of age...depending on your temperature outside / your geo location. For example, at week two the brooder should be around 90* as a baseline...we get our chicks on June 4th and it will be upper 80's - low 90's here outside and they could have a few hours outside each day during that time.

Several warnings: temperature, rain (don't let them out in rain as it will chill them too much), windy conditions, predators, etc. I would not let them out if you are not right there with them and even then you may want to contain them somehow...I plan to use a temporary Dog pen we have that is 2' tall and you make it whatever size you need. This is the dog pen we have: http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Exerc...qid=1431033858&sr=1-2&keywords=dog+pen+indoor

Again, zero experience but that is what I have read...

I kept mine in the house until I put them out, but mine were here the beginning of March. I kept them warm & cozy. Gradually decrease the temp in your brooder before they go out. It was just too cold here to let them out at first. Then, we had a warm snap & I put them out. They were fairly well feathered, then after a week in the coop, they had really feathered out.

I may have misunderstood the OP...I thought the question was about taking the chicks out of the brooder for a play day and going back in the brooder not moving the chicks out to the coop. My mistake...

Back
Top Bottom