My first egg story

Tanka

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Massachusetts
My buff Orpington laid her first egg today! She's almost 23 weeks old. We named her "ostrich" because she has always been the biggest one and has such a deep voice. For a while I was nervous that she was a roo because she was just so big and had a big red comb.
I was outside doing chores today and noticed that she was missing. (I should add that my chickens free range and they will follow you around if you are outside) so I look everywhere and she's nowhere to be found. I look in the coop. And there she. Is all puffed up in a nest she made. I was so excited I ran around to my family "Ostrich is gona lay an egg! She's gona lay an egg!" The poor thing was in there for over an hour so she eventually gives up and comes out of the coop, I just happen to be right there. She gets a drink of water and then stands like she has to poop. She got all poofed up and the face that she made was priceless, I can't even describe it. She forced so hard and out comes an egg! I watched her lay her first egg! Actually I don't know if "lay" is the right word lol. I was and still am so excited.

This was her a couple of weeks ago, her comb is much bigger now. It's actually too heavy and flopping over to the side lol.

Right where she laid it.

You got to see her lay her first egg? How cool is that? Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom