My first egg was cracked :(

danielle05marie

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 23, 2012
I FINALLY got my first egg yesterday and it was cracked. I didnt know if anyone had any suggestions to why it was cracked and how I can prevent that from happening! Thanks :)

was it laid in the nest box? I know sometimes they just pop out eggs unexpectedly at first since they haven't gotten the hang of where and when these things are going to happen to them. If it wasn't in the nest box you can encourage them to lay them there with fake eggs. If it was in the nest box, do you have enough straw/shavings/bedding in them to protect the eggs? It also could have been stepped on.

Yes it was in the nesting box. I had put some golf balls there for when they did decide to lay. I was wondering if she stepped on it but this is my first egg ever so I didnt know what to expect. I will put more shavings in there and see if that helps any. I have heard the stories where chickens peck at their own eggs but I was hoping that this would not already be a problem. Thanks so much for your response :)

Mine immeditately pecked that the ping pong balls put in the nest box, so I think when they didn't get any thing yummy from that, they stopped pecking at white round things in their nest.. Though I am sure this isn't a fail proof statement. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom