1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My first egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by edmick, Sep 16, 2016.

1. edmick

edmick Chirping

Feb 10, 2016
    southern california
    So after a long journey i finally have my first egg! My first flock of four birds 2 years ago died of heat stroke and my last flock of 6 birds were all killed by my dog after he broke into the coop that i spent a month building. But despite all the disappointment from my previous attempts i finally got my first egg from one of my 6 new birds. Ive raised them since they were a few days old and they are now 6 months. With all the money ive spent on the coop and dog proofing it i could have bought a solid gold egg by now but its worth it. Just thought i would share. Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    2 people like this.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Congrats on that first egg! It is a great feeling. Enjoy it and the many more to come! :)

3. capnmoby

capnmoby In the Brooder

Sep 9, 2016
    Payson, UT
    Sweet! We just started getting eggs a little over 2 weeks ago. What a cool feeling, eh? What breeds do you have?

4. edmick

edmick Chirping

Feb 10, 2016
    southern california
    I have two dark brahmas, two buff orpingtons and 2 reds.

5. chelsiemom

chelsiemom Chirping

Sep 9, 2016
    Yucaipa, CA
    Congrats. I started my first flock in July and can't wait for my first egg!! While I have a way to go, I just went tonight and bought 4 more chicks. Totally 9 now, with months to go for eggs.

6. capnmoby

capnmoby In the Brooder

Sep 9, 2016
    Payson, UT
    We have a buff orpington, as well as 2 welsummers, 2 easter eggers and a black cochin. The orpington has a great personality, lots of fun to have around.

7. edmick

edmick Chirping

Feb 10, 2016
    southern california
    Ive always heard that orpingtons have a nice temperament and mine seem to be pretty friendly now but a couple months ago they were the biggest bitches in the flock. Pardon the language. My dark brahmas are the sweetest birds i have. They love human interaction.

8. edmick

edmick Chirping

Feb 10, 2016
    southern california
    yea hang in there. This is my third flock raised from chicks and i just got my first egg. Ive had bad luck. My last flock of 6 was killed by my hunting dog literally weeks before they were expected to lay. I stuck with it though. My hens still dont have names though for fear of becoming too attached. Just in case. Lol

1 person likes this.
  9. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chirping

Jan 31, 2016
    That is the best feeling, I started my flock in February of this year. I have 2 buff Orpingtons, 4 bovan hens, I white bantam and a barred rock. And an Americana rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by