My first egg!

edmick

Chirping
Feb 10, 2016
southern california
So after a long journey i finally have my first egg! My first flock of four birds 2 years ago died of heat stroke and my last flock of 6 birds were all killed by my dog after he broke into the coop that i spent a month building. But despite all the disappointment from my previous attempts i finally got my first egg from one of my 6 new birds. Ive raised them since they were a few days old and they are now 6 months. With all the money ive spent on the coop and dog proofing it i could have bought a solid gold egg by now but its worth it. Just thought i would share. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Congrats. I started my first flock in July and can't wait for my first egg!! While I have a way to go, I just went tonight and bought 4 more chicks. Totally 9 now, with months to go for eggs.

Ive always heard that orpingtons have a nice temperament and mine seem to be pretty friendly now but a couple months ago they were the biggest bitches in the flock. Pardon the language. My dark brahmas are the sweetest birds i have. They love human interaction.

Congrats. I started my first flock in July and can't wait for my first egg!! While I have a way to go, I just went tonight and bought 4 more chicks. Totally 9 now, with months to go for eggs.
yea hang in there. This is my third flock raised from chicks and i just got my first egg. Ive had bad luck. My last flock of 6 was killed by my hunting dog literally weeks before they were expected to lay. I stuck with it though. My hens still dont have names though for fear of becoming too attached. Just in case. Lol

That is the best feeling, I started my flock in February of this year. I have 2 buff Orpingtons, 4 bovan hens, I white bantam and a barred rock. And an Americana rooster

Back
Top Bottom