My First eggs

@Cpgrnwd,
This one won't lay eggs. It's a cockerel.
Screenshot_20230712-162040.png

The trick is getting them to lay in separate boxes. We have 7 birds, 5 boxes all right next to each other and yet they all make a fuss for the second box. They'll drop eggs in the run waiting for the second box to open up instead of using a different box.

100% par. It is SO annoying. And when they get clogged up they'll stand there and scream at the lay-about for keeping them from the drop. Which they could perfectly well perform in any of those other 5 boxes. smh.

I've found setting up an "overflow" space away from the stack for real "emergencies" has helped a lot. Particularly if someone decides to go broody in the favorite box - geesh. I will stuff the broody in the "overflow" so the others can carry on squabbling over the favored box with some hope of getting in. lolol. smh.

View attachment 3574067I got my very first eggs. I have 6 nesting boxes and they all laid in 1 box. Is the normal? I am a newby to raising chickens.
I have 11 hens of various ages and 6 nesting boxes. They will stand in the coop or on the roost bars and “scream” if the box they want to lay in is occupied. I find 4-6 eggs in one nest. Once in awhile I will find one laying just in the coop along side the nesting boxes. I’m guessing someone decided to get as close as she possibly could to the box she wants. 😂

View attachment 3574067I got my very first eggs. I have 6 nesting boxes and they all laid in 1 box. Is the normal? I am a newby to raising chickens.
That is awesome , I have three all about 20 months old , was getting one every two days , probably just one is laying now . But it’s 115+ every day , so I’m sure it’s stress keeping count low for me . Great looking eggs , I was wondering how they choose which box to lay in , and now I guess it’s just up to them , maybe playing follow the leader . Good luck and safe chickening to you

Back
Top Bottom