My first eggs

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by JeannieWish, Sep 8, 2013.

1. JeannieWish

JeannieWish Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2013
    Co Mayo. Ireland
    Hi
    New chicken keeper here.
    I'm in Ireland.
    These are my first eggs,we have four hens, they are very social and tame, really lovely girls.
    Do you think my eggs look ok? I think they look fine, I didn't need to wash them I just put them straight in the fridge.
    I do have a question if you don't mind please?
    In the outside run we have sand on the floor, we put the hens food in feeders and their water in a large bowl.
    If my hens have any treats I put them on a metal plate that I keep only for their use.
    If I'm walking past lettuce and see one has bolted I will just throw it in for the hens, they love the lettuce lol
    Sorry... My question is, should I put straw over the sand in the run? It looks a bit bare.
    I have sand in the coop with wood shavings and. I am cleaning this out every other day.
    That's ok, I don't mind doing the cleaning but I'm looking for a job and if I , no when I get one I am going to need a more low maintenance bedding for the hens.
    What would you recommend please? Straw seems to be the most practical option for me I think .
    Thanks for reading lovely people xxx

2. JeannieWish

Aug 18, 2013
    Co Mayo. Ireland
    Hmmmm , no picture
    I must be doing something wrong here.
    It definitely embedded .
    Any advise from more techie person than myself lol

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Sand is okay, but I put hay (straw) in the run just to entertain them. Congrats on your flock!

[​IMG]

4. JeannieWish

Aug 18, 2013
    Co Mayo. Ireland
    Thank you chick xx love your picture xx

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm in agreement with the oldchick, straw would be a good idea too, although sand is not bad. Enjoy your girls, they are so great to have! Welcome to BYC, so glad you joined us here!

6. JeannieWish

Aug 18, 2013
    Co Mayo. Ireland
    Hi b.hromada ,
    Thank you for the lovely welcome.
    I think I will go looking for straw bales tomorrow hun.
    Shouldn't be hard to find in rural Ireland lol xxxx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by