My first ever egg...and it's GREEN!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by teach1rusl, Jan 27, 2010.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Of my five girls, I thought for sure my little australorp would be the first to lay an egg. Her comb and wattle have been really red for a while. None of the others really look ready. They'll be 20 weeks this weekend. So I got home today, and was THRILLED [​IMG] (only you guys can really appreciate the feeling) to see a tiny egg laying up against my fake egg in one of the nest boxes. And I didn't even have to play CSI to figure out whose it was!! It's Gingers, my little EE girl. She has the most narrow hips to me, so it really surprised. It's a pretty green color, but very small. Here it is next to a quarter and a grade A large store bought white egg. Hopefully she'll inspire the others, and I'll start getting some little brown eggs soon. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And here's pretty little Ginger...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Congrats. I got my first egg ever a month ago today and this past weekend my second girl started to lay so for the past 4 days I've had two eggs a day. I am still just as excited to go check for eggs every day as I was when that first egg arrived (DH muttered something about egg songs the other day and he wasn't talking about the chooks!)

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] congrats!!!! Beautiful egg, too. My EE did not lay until she was a bit over 9 months old...her comb did not even get much redder until a few days after she started laying....And she still is 'narrow' compared to the Tanks called Wyandottes and BR..... [​IMG] Hope your other girls will follow suit soon. Ginger did a good job!! [​IMG]

4. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Wow what a pretty lady!! Grats on the egg. [​IMG]

5. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! I recall the feeling of finding the first egg. I'm excited for you! Ginger is a pretty little lady, too.

I also have a mixed little flock and have enjoyed knowing who's doing the laying.

Best wishes for an egg filled future! Oh, and thanks for sharing! That's a beautiful egg!

6. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] It's so pretty!

7. poultrygeist

poultrygeist Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Hunterdon Cty. NJ
    Mine wasn't green and I have 5 brown egg layers

8. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Lucky!! I'm jealous!

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats! [​IMG]

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Thanks guys! I knew chicken people would understand [​IMG] . Poultrygeist, I'd read that happens sometimes, so I had it in the back of my head it was a possibility. I still would have been excited, I just would have given credit to the wrong pullet.
    Fldiver97...wow, I've heard that EEs are late bloomers, but 9 months would have killed me! And now I know that Ginger will probably stay a slimmer built bird. HEchicken...lol...I can't carry a tune, so I'll leave the egg song up to my girls (and you). But I'll sure be skipping out there excitedly from now on.
    [​IMG] Yayyyyy EGGS!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by