My first ever egg...and it's GREEN!!!

teach1rusl

Love My Chickens
14 Years
Jul 28, 2009
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Of my five girls, I thought for sure my little australorp would be the first to lay an egg. Her comb and wattle have been really red for a while. None of the others really look ready. They'll be 20 weeks this weekend. So I got home today, and was THRILLED
wee.gif
(only you guys can really appreciate the feeling) to see a tiny egg laying up against my fake egg in one of the nest boxes. And I didn't even have to play CSI to figure out whose it was!! It's Gingers, my little EE girl. She has the most narrow hips to me, so it really surprised. It's a pretty green color, but very small. Here it is next to a quarter and a grade A large store bought white egg. Hopefully she'll inspire the others, and I'll start getting some little brown eggs soon.
smile.png

37862_first_egg_ginger_jan_27_008.jpg

And here's pretty little Ginger...
37862_jan_11_044.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats. I got my first egg ever a month ago today and this past weekend my second girl started to lay so for the past 4 days I've had two eggs a day. I am still just as excited to go check for eggs every day as I was when that first egg arrived (DH muttered something about egg songs the other day and he wasn't talking about the chooks!)

clap.gif
congrats!!!! Beautiful egg, too. My EE did not lay until she was a bit over 9 months old...her comb did not even get much redder until a few days after she started laying....And she still is 'narrow' compared to the Tanks called Wyandottes and BR.....
lol.png
Hope your other girls will follow suit soon. Ginger did a good job!!
D.gif

Congratulations! I recall the feeling of finding the first egg. I'm excited for you! Ginger is a pretty little lady, too.

I also have a mixed little flock and have enjoyed knowing who's doing the laying.

Best wishes for an egg filled future! Oh, and thanks for sharing! That's a beautiful egg!

Thanks guys! I knew chicken people would understand
smile.png
. Poultrygeist, I'd read that happens sometimes, so I had it in the back of my head it was a possibility. I still would have been excited, I just would have given credit to the wrong pullet.
Fldiver97...wow, I've heard that EEs are late bloomers, but 9 months would have killed me! And now I know that Ginger will probably stay a slimmer built bird. HEchicken...lol...I can't carry a tune, so I'll leave the egg song up to my girls (and you). But I'll sure be skipping out there excitedly from now on.
wee.gif
Yayyyyy EGGS!!

Back
Top Bottom