My first ever egg ever....tiny!

Congratz!!!! It's so pretty!! Are you going to fry it up or blow it out and keep it?
tongue.png

My kids want to blow it out, so we will see! We also found another egg after school, so more YAY! But this morning there was no more eggs, but it was 30 degrees outside. I feel bad for my chickens! So now I am looking at heaters for my coop.

I have blown out 30 ducks eggs plus my first two chicken eggs in one day. They make great ornaments for Christmas or just to hang around the house. Just poke a hole in each end and blow.Just don't blow to hard so you don't crack the shell. And watch it!I have had yolk come back and squirt in my mouth before
sickbyc.gif

Since your first egg ever, ever came on the same day as the little egg in my coop - this is a good place to record that event.

It isn't the first egg to be found in that coop, ever. But, it is the first from this batch of pullets. And, the color indicates it's an Australorp egg. Now, I’ll need to try to figure out from which hen. And, why the Barred Rocks haven't started yet. (Notice the run-on, stream-of-consciousness sentence and cheating with commas and periods?
wink.png
)

First eggs are often small . . . this one is about the size of my thumb. They are developing at the same time the pullet's reproductive system is developing.

The important thing to me is that the pullet (whichever one it is
roll.png
) is right on time at 21 weeks. Okay, it could have been maybe a week earlier . . .

I cleaned their sunporch as a show of appreciation. Maybe some high-protein treat would be a good way to celebrate this morning
cool.png

Steve

Our Girl's first eggs were almost that small as well... they have been laying now for about 2 months, and sometimes they still drop a small one in the box fur us! Have been getting many double yolkers as well! All have been VERY thick and hard shelled! A good thing as I have found eggs under the roost, over 4 ft high! Bombs away!!!

digitS'_ looks like we may live nearby you.. The Wa border is just 22 miles west of us here.. Newport Wa/Oldtown Id.

Quote:
Congrats on your first egg! New layers will often skip a day or two when they first start laying.
IMO, coop heaters are not such a good idea for grown chickens. Get them used to have a nice warm coop and then have the power go out and they'll be in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom