My first hatch...have questions!*with pictures of course*

lknight

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Western Washington
I am so excited!! This is my first broody hen, and I let her set 2 eggs (wishing I had done a few more now). Today was day 20 and I went out to check and there is one cute little yellow fluff under her.

How long do I leave the other egg if it hasn't hatched out tomorrow. I know that hatching isn't an exact science.

Should I put mom and chick in their own little area away from everyone else? If so, for how long?

What if only the one egg hatches? Should the sole chick be okay with just mom?

I guess I just need a little advice and soothing from the experts! Thanks

10084_chickenlittle3.jpg

10084_chickenlittle2.jpg

10084_chickenlittle.jpg

Last edited:
Cute chick! Take a deep breath and relax! Leave the other egg for a couple more days (or until momma stops sitting). Make sure food and water are very close so baby can get to it.

You should make sure the other chickens can't get to and bully momma and the baby. I usually just fence them off where they are and that way everyone still gets use to seeing them. That way they take to the new addition better when it's time for them to all live together.

If that's the only one that hatches the chick will be fine by itself with mom.

Momma knows what to do - just sit back and enjoy!

Yes, seperate them! I left mine with the flock and they scalped one and pecked the other in the head badly. Both survived, but one has lost an eye...
sad.png

Best of luck! Enjoy your new baby!!!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom