My first incubation...egg's are in Day 1 WHAT DO I DO NOW?????????????

I would get the digital up to 100 degrees and see what happens. I have had some luck using a digital mdical thermometer but i have learned not to trust any of them there are just to many variables.

Quote:
wow it's crazy how much that darn fan works!! I took out the top "red" plug located directly over the right side of the fan on top of the bator..and my humidity drop'd from 40% to 30%
ep.gif

Is 40% too high for the first 18 days of incubation???

Quote:
OK you shot down my explanationof how to test a thermoeter.

so EXPLAIN how you do yours..

just shooting somebody out of the water is not helping anybody..

the cold water method does work for me, BTW.......

Quote:

I did EXPLAIN. I use a medical analog thermometer guaranteed to be correct to within .1 of a degree ... best I can do to ensure it is correct. No need to get so defensive, pointing something out is not just "shooting you out of the water," I am trying to help the OP. If a method is flawed, it is flawed. The fact remains that a thermometer can read 32 in a cup of ice water and still be off at incubation temperatures, I am not the only one who has pointed this out. It was pointed out to me in another thread (not one of mine, just one I was reading ... I will try to find it and link to it) prompting me to recheck all my therometers.

What you choose to do, and what anyone else chooses to do, is fine, it is your choice. As Danny said, the eggs will tell the story anyway and let you know if your thermometer is correct. I just wish I had done more checking on mine BEFORE my last setting so my eggs would have hatched on time instead of 2 days late with chicks that would have been better off hatching on time.

Quote:

I did EXPLAIN. I use a medical analog thermometer guaranteed to be correct to within .1 of a degree ... best I can do to ensure it is correct. No need to get so defensive, pointing something out is not just "shooting you out of the water," I am trying to help the OP. If a method is flawed, it is flawed. The fact remains that a thermometer can read 32 in a cup of ice water and still be off at incubation temperatures, I am not the only one who has pointed this out. It was pointed out to me in another thread (not one of mine, just one I was reading ... I will try to find it and link to it) prompting me to recheck all my therometers.

What you choose to do, and what anyone else chooses to do, is fine, it is your choice. As Danny said, the eggs will tell the story anyway and let you know if your thermometer is correct. I just wish I had done more checking on mine BEFORE my last setting so my eggs would have hatched on time instead of 2 days late with chicks that would have been better off hatching on time.

and I stated just what worked perfect for me.. not all therms are going to be 10 degrees off at hatching temps.. I have 4 digitals that I use and they are all the same andI tested them all the same..(wih ice water) You took your experience and made it gospel.. I am always open to new ideas, or I would not have lasted hatching eggs for over 45 years..

I am just a bit defensive, especially on this site, where people shoot down other peoples advice,,,but offer no alternative solution..

I am still not clear at what temp and what medium you use to test one against the other.. I would like to know and I will try it.

Like you, I stated my experience. Just because it "worked perfectly for you" does not mean that it will for everyone.

I explained my method, I check the temp with a medical (fever) thermometer by putting them both in the bator in the same place and compare it to the digital to ensure that the temp is correct. Not sure how much more clearly I can explain it.

That is all I am saying on the subject. I am NOT going to get into a fight about thermometers on the internet.
roll.png

i had the same exact problem with the thermometer/hygrometer that i bought at walmart...it was always off compared to the 2 stock thermometers...i just decided it was always lower than than the others and went with it...hatched this weekend out of 42 eggs have 25 babies....opened the other eggs and had babies that i think drowned...and a few had died before pipping...once the egss started hatching my temps and humidity went crazy i do not know what happened..

Quote:
wow it's crazy how much that darn fan works!! I took out the top "red" plug located directly over the right side of the fan on top of the bator..and my humidity drop'd from 40% to 30%
ep.gif

Is 40% too high for the first 18 days of incubation???

About what i asked above??? It's crazy!! Do i leave that cap in and just let my humid climb??? " seen it get to 46% today b/4 i added the eggs. With the cap out it seem's to want to stay at 31%. So should it stay in or out?

Also...all 15 of my egg's are in...WHAT DO I DO NOW?? lol i read that im not suppose to touch them for the first 24hrs on here somewhere. Or can i start turning them after the first 2 to 4 hours or so???

Also my digita is reading 100 when my stock one is reading 104 laying on top of my egg's!!!!!! am i cooking them??? I know heat rises...but am i doing things wrong??

Back
Top Bottom