My First Loss to a Predator

If u use a live trap it might take a couple nights before u catch something/coons they are smart, but also curious, I always use marshmallows & cans of sardines.

I caught one at 4:30 a.m. today. I got a baby monitor with sound and a night vision camera. At 4:30 this morning, I was wakened by noise in the pen. It sounded like they were trying to open the door latches. I opened my eyes just in time to see a raccoon walking in front of the camera. I scrambled out there like a colonial Minuteman! By the time I got out there, it seemed to have vanished. I thought I scared it off. Just as I was about to leave, I looked up and saw a coon looking down on me from the rafters. I went on the attack. He got away. I was standing there thinking what I was going to do next. I looked up where he had been and saw something suspicious. I jabbed at it with a lawn implement and, sure enough, it was a second coon!! This one was not so lucky. I hated, hated, hated to do it, but I got him. Also...I found Minnie's body. They tried to drag her out of the pen through the roof rafters. They got her as far as the top of the roof of the hen house. As I was working to strengthen my defenses on the house, I looked up and saw her little feet hanging off the roof of the hen house. Poor baby. Poor, poor baby. She has been partially avenged.
So sorry:(

I am too huge animal lover so it takes everything in me to shoot a predator but our babies rely on us to protect them. Raccoons are tough. They work in packs sometimes. Do you how it got in?

I am too huge animal lover so it takes everything in me to shoot a predator but our babies rely on us to protect them. Raccoons are tough. They work in packs sometimes. Do you how it got in?
There is one corner of the pen that I knew would be the weak spot. The ceiling is open rafters so it is almost impossible to secure. There is some field fence underpinning, but it still found its way in. I knew it was a possibility, so I tried to make sure the hen house was as secure as possible, so that even if they did get in the pen, they would not get in the hen house.

I am wondering if the one that escaped last night will be back tonight.
Pretty much guaranteed.

I looked up where he had been and saw something suspicious. I jabbed at it with a lawn implement and, sure enough, it was a second coon!!
That is a little scary, those suckers are vicious. I suggest you take something intended to kill next time. It could have jumped on your face as easily as it fled.

Those open rafters MUST be secured!

OH I'm so sorry this happened to your sweet girl! Was she a chocolate Orpington? We have one and she is the sweetest girl ever! I would be so sad if that happened. Hugs to you!

The beautiful, sweet, brown feathered soul in my profile pic got taken by a predator last night. It is my first loss, and it would have to be her. I just want to curl up in the fetal position and mourn. Happened last night. My guess is either a coon or a possum because it had to climb up into the pen. It is on a concrete slab, so no way for anything to dig under and in.

I have always said that before a hawk, GHO, etc. kills one of your chickens it first checks to see that it is wearing a wing band so the @$%*& predator can be sure that it killed one of your best. Condolences :hit.

Back
Top Bottom