1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

my first ostrich egg...

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by johnskoi, Nov 12, 2012.

1. .... ummmmmmm --was gonna say i don't know IF i wanna hatch it, BUUUUUTTTTTT if i have the chance to do this,i'm gonna try.... i WOULD like any info or links that'd be helpful to a sucessful hatch.... i've got 4 brinsea (the ony reason that i'm mentrioning brand is in hopes of a successful hatch) units that i'm in the process of tweaking after false temp readings and what couldve been better hatches regarding peas and silkies ..............anyways, i don't NEED ostriches, but i WILL do my best to make 'em HAPPY (and they will be) :D ...thanks, john

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Congrats on your first egg!
    [​IMG]

3. Calla

Calla Chirping

Nov 6, 2012
    England UK
    Well done John, why not hatch ? great fun, as long as it fits in Incubator lol. From what I heard in past, similar temp as other Ratites, emus and rheas. Temp. 36.5 degrees no higher...and 20-30% humidity. Time about 42 -44 days. Ask the egg supplier where you got egg from . But to make sure, check on internet. Lots of help there now.
    Good luck with your hatch !
    Calla
    here is one of many

American Ostrich Association - Frequently Asked Ostrich Questions

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  4. ty, but it wasn't mine [​IMG]

5. ty for the link -- lots of good info [​IMG] --- egg wouldn't fit in the brinseas, so i've had it in my LG for the past 2 weeks .. not the best, i know, but it was the only doable option ... anyway -- it's been two weeks and it's still clear --- disappointed and VERY RELEIVED at the same time -- not something i plan on trying again any time soon [​IMG]

6. Calla

Calla Chirping

Nov 6, 2012
    England UK
    Hi John worth a try lol after another 2 weeks, and still no sign of fertilty, that's it then, you can blow and decorate it, great hobby.
    Calla
    One of my creations
    Ostrich egg, lamp and clock.
    [​IMG]

7. you do absolutely BEAUTIFUL work[​IMG] ..quite the talent!!

... but oy.... the egg's been cold for about 4 hours -- maybe i jumped the gun too soon,but i haven't seen any veining whatsoever, where as when i candle pea and silkie eggs, i'll see something by the 4th and 3rd days respectively ... if i understood some of the info right tho, i thought it said the veining happens on the yolk ----you KNOW it's going back in the bator right now ... lol ....

8. Calla

Calla Chirping

Nov 6, 2012
    England UK
    Thank you.

I have done this several times with Emu and Rhea eggs, impatient lol....needed space, so candled again and could not see anything on Rhea eggs, after some 38 days......put 2 to one side and 2 hours later drilled a 10mm hole to blow, but and saw feathers and breathing lol
    I quickly taped ithem up and put back in Inci and they hatched a few days later lol

Eggshells are so thick and have only a home made candler, but worked well for years on 1000s of all sorts of eggs lol.

Good luck !
    Calla

Rhea egg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  9. Raptor65

Raptor65 Chirping

Jan 15, 2012
    I think a good rule of thumb with these large eggs is to just keep an eye on them until you've got reason to believe an egg is no good.

10. I had given up hope on the first emu egg that I had ever incubated and quit turning if after 52 days, which included a period during a winter storm when we lost all power for several hours and the egg became cold to the touch. A few days later, I went to unplug the incubator and throw the egg away and when I opened the lid of the incubator, there was an emu chick looking up at me!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by