My first predator attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ridgefire, Jul 16, 2008.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Somehow my little house cat got out and we didn't realize it. I went to the store and came back and there were chickens out in the backyard. I was like OK who let them out, but the pen was closed up and the coop door shut. They must have flew over the fence. I went and opened up the gate so they could get back in, went into the house didn't think twice about it. I went out back and could hear one of the girls making a very strange clucking, I just couldn't place it. I even called my wife out to hear it. We go walking over to the pen to see why she was making this noise, it was then I realized that I was missing a leg horn. I started looking and seen her perched up in the apple tree. I went over to retrieve her and I caught something out of the corner of my eye in the pen. Here was the little cat curled up in a ball, looking pretty beat up.

That's right boys and girls, score one for the roo, he beat the ever living crap out of this poor cat. [​IMG]
    She was never so relieved to for me take her back into the house, the roo wouldn't let her get by to get back out of the pen.
    And I now know the what the weird clucking was it was the distress call from the girls so I know for next time.

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Hooray for the roo protector! And poor cat :aww hope it feels better tomorrow morning. LOL

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mark ONE for the rooster! Poor kitty tho [​IMG]

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Huzzah for Mr. Roo....
    Hopefully kittie's learned a valuable lesson...
    Slifer beat, flogged, pecked, bit and spurred the crappy neighbour's cat...I saw patches of Rocky's fur all over the yard...and even though Slifer's dearly departed, he makes a wide berth of my yard. LOL

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Too bad it wasnt the dog, instead.

6. Plymouthroxgal

Plymouthroxgal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Good Thing I HAVE a ROO [​IMG]

also Yay

1 Roo 0 cat

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I guess you were blessed this time.

Best to be certain cats and dogs stay away.

8. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I'm glad my cats are already afraid of the chickens. I don't want anything bad to happen to any of them.

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Our roosters are good cat chasers, but the best our the Emus, they love chasing cats! A little too much, now our own cats come in the back yard and sit among the chickens for protection! They look into the pasture and just dream how it use to be. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by