1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by loonstruck, Jan 17, 2010.

1. loonstruck

loonstruck New Egg

Sep 1, 2009
    Letting the hens out to range today, we noticed one behaving differently.

*She is an 8 month old gold sex link and has been laying daily for 4 months.
    *She is very lethargic and hunkering down, head and neck pulled in. Her comb is droopy. She is not moving around or "interested". No respiratory symptoms or visible parasites. Poop is normal.
    *She has had these symptons several hours.
    *At first I suspected she was egg bound and although I did not feel an egg (where I thought it would be???), I did give her a warm bath and massaged her lower abdomen. She tolerated this very well. I dried her off and put her in a dog crate with water and home made yogurt.
    *Then I wondered if she was having crop problems. Her crop is hard but not overly large. I have been massaging that as well.
    * I went to town and bought poly vi sol and gave here 3 drops. I also bought pedialyte and she has had a few sips.
    * I don't want to lose her, but it my intention to treat her myself. There is no avian vet in the area.

Any ideas?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Keep her inside where you can keep her warm and keep an eye on her. Check to see what her poop looks like. Also check her over for lice/mites.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Based on your first description I'd say she has cocci. saladin

4. sparky134

sparky134 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    My first thought was also cocci. My SLW had normal poop but had cocci with the same symptoms as yours. Try some amproline or sulfur product that will do the trick..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by