My First Quail

That's really good advice on the antibiotics, thank you! What kind do you recommend? What size dose? Living in central Florida, cold winters aren't really an issue, heat seems more of a problem, and to leave frozen water bottles in their enclosure/cage so they can keep cool when it gets very hot. I will definitely be keeping them covered since they will be contained in a large cage. I want to make sure I do everything right to minimize deaths...I know that sometimes they just happen, and also sometimes can't be avoided, so for as excited as I am, i'm probably more nervous.

What sort of quail are you raising?
Baby quail are small but very hardy little birds. Just make sure you have a good brooder box set up for them and ensure they have ENOUGH HEAT in there. It should be 95-100 degrees there first week. As babies they cannot regulate there on body temperature. As long as you have heat and plenty of food and water I think you should be just fine. I hatch out 240 Coturnix eggs every 7 days so I am always raising little baby quail. Let me know if I can be of any help

Baby quail are small but very hardy little birds. Just make sure you have a good brooder box set up for them and ensure they have ENOUGH HEAT in there. It should be 95-100 degrees there first week. As babies they cannot regulate there on body temperature. As long as you have heat and plenty of food and water I think you should be just fine. I hatch out 240 Coturnix eggs every 7 days so I am always raising little baby quail. Let me know if I can be of any help

I'm going to be testing my brooding box and heating lamp to get an idea of how high up the lamp needs to be to maintain a good temperature. The incubator is maintaining temperature fine, so hoping it goes well!

That's a lot of quail, wow -- thank you for your advice, I will certainly ask if I have any questions

Well there are 5 so far with pips. None have hatched
hmm.png
Hoping everything is going ok. I am a nervous wreck!!!! From pip to hatch there are so many different answers. Some say 12 hours some say up to 30 hours! I hope they are all ok and just taking their time. The 1st one that had a pip seems to be making the least improvement. A couple have more significant cracks at the pip area.

Well there are 5 so far with pips. None have hatched
hmm.png
Hoping everything is going ok. I am a nervous wreck!!!! From pip to hatch there are so many different answers. Some say 12 hours some say up to 30 hours! I hope they are all ok and just taking their time. The 1st one that had a pip seems to be making the least improvement. A couple have more significant cracks at the pip area.

Oh dear D:
I hope they're alright as well. I'm sure they're fine though, it's an exhausting process and they're just taking their time. I can only imagine the agonizing anticipation...very exciting!

Well there are 5 so far with pips. None have hatched:/  Hoping everything is going ok. I am a nervous wreck!!!! From pip to hatch there are so many different answers. Some say 12 hours some say up to 30 hours! I hope they are all ok and just taking their time. The 1st one that had a pip seems to be making the least improvement. A couple have more significant cracks at the pip area.

After a certain time they will die if they cannot get out of there shell. Not trying to freak you out or nothing. If I recall you said they were suppose to be done with there 3 day lockdown down period and coming out of the incubator today. If that's the case I would say go ahead and open the incubator and since that many pipped and it has been plenty long enough for them to hatch. The inner liner may be dried to there skin and they can't move in the shell. You will need to carefully break/peel the shell slowly. Peel just enough so you know the chick will get out. You will peel it starting from where they pipped it. What is the humidity settings in your incubator? Have you opened it any during the hatch/lockdown?

After a certain time they will die if they cannot get out of there shell. Not trying to freak you out or nothing. If I recall you said they were suppose to be done with there 3 day lockdown down period and coming out of the incubator today. If that's the case I would say go ahead and open the incubator and since that many pipped and it has been plenty long enough for them to hatch. The inner liner may be dried to there skin and they can't move in the shell. You will need to carefully break/peel the shell slowly. Peel just enough so you know the chick will get out. You will peel it starting from where they pipped it. What is the humidity settings in your incubator? Have you opened it any during the hatch/lockdown?

The humidity is at 70% I did have to open it to add water. One of the eggs now has a crack all the way around where the air sac line would be. lockdown began Wednesday morning.

The humidity is at 70% I did have to open it to add water. One of the eggs now has a crack all the way around where the air sac line would be. lockdown began Wednesday morning.

Oh okay, my bad I must have mis read, I wouldnt mess with them until there last day which should be tomorrow if I'm not mistaken. I would avoid opening it at all if you can help it though.

Back
Top Bottom