My First Rooster.... I am starting to hate him sadly.....

We just re-homed our EE cockerel at 16 weeks. He was our favourite of the 4 we got, but at nightime he would chase around our poor tiny silkie pullet. She was terrified of him and about 1/4 the size. He then shifted to biting us. He would bite and hold on. He did it to my 4 year old and then he had to go.

oh no! Our cockerel who is 9 months old just started charging at us and going at us with his beak. I have no where to separate him unfortunately. Not sure if I could rehome him being aggressive either.

Honestly, some hens are just more tolerant, regardless of their place in the pecking order. My Wyandottes all scream rape every single time, but the rest of the hens seem to find it either commonplace or flattering. When Jack was younger he was a bit rougher with all of them but his comb shows signs of "no means no" even today. I don't tolerate him pecking them at night when everyone is just trying to roost and go to sleep- I've removed him from his roost several times because of that.

Welcome!
There are threads here about trying to reform human aggressive roosters. @Beekissed has a very good article about it, if you want to try.
If there are small children involved, or any visitors, don't even attempt doing it, because he can cause serious injuries easily.
My best advice is to get out the crockpot, or send him off with full disclosure, for some other family's dinner.
Mary

He would been right next to everyone in a run.
I think if you do this, and wait until late spring, as you mentioned in a later post, you might just end up with a really nice rooster in the future. Cockerels have to grow into adults to be nice. I have culled what might have ended up to be a really great rooster because I couldn't allow a cockerel to inadvertently hurt a hen or pullet during that hormonal stage. Read some threads on rooster behavior so you know what you are looking for. I think there are some good articles on here too.

Good luck, however you do it. In hindsight, I regret culling a couple roosters who were not people aggressive at all, and may have just been a little too hormonal.

One of the chicks that we ordered through the mail turned out to be a roo. This is (amazingly) the first time this has happened to us out of 14 chicks throughout the years of buying day-old sexed chicks. He is 6 months old and "breeding" everyone.... "___" because it is chicken rape to some of them. Our little game hen doesn't want anything to do with him but he chases her down and then she yells and yells ... he pecks her head a lot..... she flies away. I am worried that I will take a nice (to humans) rooster and make him aggressive because I really want to punt him and protect our little hen. Is this raping behavior going to subside? Advice, please. A photo below of the perp. View attachment 1983434
Thanks for asking your question. I have 2 cockerels a couple of months apart in age, and the older one has learned to be relatively gentle and the girls will squat for him, but the younger one is a horny "boy". I imagine he will get better with age like the first one. But I know what you mean. I would go in and tell my husband that my girls were being raped. One of my girls actually got injured and lost a chunk of feathers on her back. She still tries to distance herself. It is getting better. Good luck with y our boys.

Back
Top Bottom