My First Rooster.... I am starting to hate him sadly.....

Pics

3baymares

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 20, 2009
North Atlanta area, USA
One of the chicks that we ordered through the mail turned out to be a roo. This is (amazingly) the first time this has happened to us out of 14 chicks throughout the years of buying day-old sexed chicks. He is 6 months old and "breeding" everyone.... "___" because it is chicken rape to some of them. Our little game hen doesn't want anything to do with him but he chases her down and then she yells and yells ... he pecks her head a lot..... she flies away. I am worried that I will take a nice (to humans) rooster and make him aggressive because I really want to punt him and protect our little hen. Is this raping behavior going to subside? Advice, please. A photo below of the perp.
20191211_170608~2.jpg

Firstly he’s a cockerel since he is less than a year old. Once he is a year old he is a cock or rooster. Are all your female chickens the same age as him? If you don’t have any older hens separate him from the flock and allow your pullets to mature into hens. Then you can reintroduce him to the flock and hopefully your hens will teach him manners.

Firstly he’s a cockerel since he is less than a year old. Once he is a year old he is a cock or rooster. Are all your female chickens the same age as him? If you don’t have any older hens separate him from the flock and allow your pullets to mature into hens. Then you can reintroduce him to the flock and hopefully your hens will teach him manners.
Yes! I agree with this too..I have a particularly rude batch of hens and I send any rude cockerels to spend the night or few days with them. Definitely mellows them out.

I see how you could be frustrated but I wouldn’t use the word rape and chicken in the same sentence. It’s a cockerel doing what a cockerel will do. He will be shown how to behave likely as time goes on. Look at the bright side you can cull and make a nice soup. In the human world it’s not as easy to deal with scum.

He probably will get worse as spring approaches and his hormones start to surge. I would separate him out or get rid of him if you don't need him. If he continues with his bad behaviors they can become permanent. Some of my young boys spend a few months in solitary until they learn to act more respectful.

Mine I pen separately but within sight so they can still interact through the fence.

He does not attack the two dominant 2 year old hens. They do peck him. I had not thought about separating him. Do I put the two dominate hens with him for a year or just put him alone? He would been right next to everyone in a run.
Separate him by himself until your pullets become hens and then reintroduce him to the flock.

He does not attack the two dominant 2 year old hens. They do peck him. I had not thought about separating him. Do I put the two dominate hens with him for a year or just put him alone? He would been right next to everyone in a run.

Back
Top Bottom