my first set of eggs from the mail

I got my first batch of eggs in the mail on Monday - I had my eye on that BBS bantam auction, but knew they would arrive too late! I received a batch of 13 bantam eggs, mixed, but most are black tailed white Japanese. I also received an order of 4 Brabanter eggs. I was very surprised at how dirty the bantam eggs were - in the past I would have never put such dirty eggs in the incubator, but what else was I supposed to do if they came that way? Is that normal for people to ship eggs covered in poop? I've never gotten eggs in the mail before, only hatched my own. The ones we hatched ourselves had a 100% hatch rate. One person said to make sure to let them rest. Can someone explain what that is supposed to mean? They sat out on the table for a few hours before I put them in the bator. Was that long enough? Thanks and sorry for the newbie questions!

My eggs were all clean, and marked as to what they were. I was unaware of the resting part, and am still a bit fuzzy on the meaning. I got them to the guy who is hatching them for me and we put them in the bator as we unpacked them. I hope I didnt screw up here, money down the drain!

The rule of thumb is the more expensive the eggs, the fewer chicks hatch. I got a great deal on some cool looking ee stock eggs and almost all of them hatched and are doing great. The BLRW, WFBS, Silkie, very low and what did hatch died. I don't think I do everything right and much of it is operator error. Good LUCK!!!

We let our rest for about 24 hours on the counter. I have done the same thing, putting them straight into the bator. I could't tell you if there is a big difference or not. I was told mailed eggs get jostled around during shipping and the rest period allows everything to settle as well as letting them get to room temp before being introduced to the bator. We have done it since our second batch and have had good and bad hatches. Some were the PO's fault and some were mine (power outage for over 9 hours) You will figure out what works best for you. I do candle at around day 7 and then day 10 to remove and non-fertile or dead eggs, then on day 18 before I take them out of the turner. As for dirty eggs, yes, it is best not to wash eggs before incubation, if there are large amounts of poo or mud, I would carefully scrape it off not wash it off. Personally, I would never send anyone really dirty eggs, I keep those for eating after a good scrubbing. Hope this helps and isn't too confusing.

I have had the best hatch with Halo's BBS Rocks. I just spent every penny I had in paypal on some australorps and not one was growing. I am so upset, cause I wanted them badly, but it was a risk. I don't think I will be buying anymore shipped eggs.

It all depends on their trip in the mail. I had a shipment of buckeyes that hatched ninety percent. I had a shipment of Jap banties that hatched ten percent. All arrived with boxes and eggs undamaged.

Well, we couldn't wait any longer, so we candled tonight, Day 7. The 4 that shipped from one person were all developing well! Out of the other 13 that were shipped from someone else, 1 had a blood ring, 2 I'm 75% sure were clear, another 1 was questionable, and 1 had been put in upside down! The egg was so round, I thought we had the wider end up, but turns out I was wrong. Although there might have been some development going on anyways, so I turned it the right way up and we'll see what happens with that one. So that's 5 out of 17 that might not be anything. But there's definitely 12 that are growing!!!!

Back
Top Bottom