My First Time Hatching Eggs... How Can I Get my Hen to Hatch Them

birdwrangler057

Songster
Oct 19, 2016
South Carolina
Hello all,
I really want to hatch some chicks, but I don't want to get an incubator. The chickens I want to breed are EE's. None of my hens are broody, is there a way to get them to sit on the eggs when they're aren't? Thanks! :D

No, you can't make a hen sit on eggs when she's not broody, and you can't make a he go broody, either. Some breeds never will.

You're better off getting an incubator to hatch your own or buying chicks if you want them at a certain time. A hen hatches whenever her hormones tell her to, she won't do it on your schedule.

Hello all,
I really want to hatch some chicks, but I don't want to get an incubator. The chickens I want to breed are EE's. None of my hens are broody, is there a way to get them to sit on the eggs when they're aren't? Thanks!
big_smile.png
If I wanted to hatch some eggs, I would buy me a few hatching hens, Game hens, Silkies and the likes are known to brood a lot. I set 72 hens a year ago, most of that 72 was game hens, some game hens set 3 and 4 times through the year. I have had RIR hens for about 20 years steady, but never over 2 years old----never had a broody from them. Some breeds rarely go broody, but my old English game hatched me 100's and 100's.

If I wanted to hatch some eggs, I would buy me a few hatching hens, Game hens, Silkies and the likes are known to brood a lot. I set 72 hens a year ago, most of that 72 was game hens, some game hens set 3 and 4 times through the year. I have had RIR hens for about 20 years steady, but never over 2 years old----never had a broody from them. Some breeds rarely go broody, but my old English game hatched me 100's and 100's.

So there isn't a way to get non-broody hens to hatch eggs? The problem with that is, I don't have enough space for more hens. You are right about RIR's, mine have never gone broody in the 3 years of their lives, neither have my BR's. I do have a JG and a BO who both go broody around August, but I want to hatch before summer. I do have three EE's (one is my rooster) which I've had for a year, they haven't gone broody yet. Any more advice?

No, you can't make a hen sit on eggs when she's not broody, and you can't make a he go broody, either. Some breeds never will.

You're better off getting an incubator to hatch your own or buying chicks if you want them at a certain time. A hen hatches whenever her hormones tell her to, she won't do it on your schedule.

Yeah I knew all that, but I was just wondering if i could change "natures course" . Lol

I have asked this question before, but what is the cheapest most reliable incubator to buy? Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I knew all that, but I was just wondering if i could change "natures course" . Lol

I have asked this question before, but what is the cheapest most reliable incubator to buy? Thanks for the feedback!

"Cheapest" and "most reliable" don't really tend to go together, lol. I'd look at Hovabators or the Incuview to get a good incubator and those are on the less expensive side of the reliable incubator spectrum.

May I ask, if you don't have room for more birds, what are your plans for the ones you hatch? I wouldn't hatch at all unless you can keep them if you somehow end up stuck with them all.

"Cheapest" and "most reliable" don't really tend to go together, lol. I'd look at Hovabators or the Incuview to get a good incubator and those are on the less expensive side of the reliable incubator spectrum.

May I ask, if you don't have room for more birds, what are your plans for the ones you hatch? I wouldn't hatch at all unless you can keep them if you somehow end up stuck with them all.

Ok, I'll look at those. I have room for young hens in the back of my current coop, I just don't have room for more adult hens. I also plan on selling the chicks, I know few people who want some. :D

Back
Top Bottom