My first time incubating - 3 out of 7 aint bad....

Havenbeech

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Hi all, new to this website though i have browsed it lots over the last week!

I set 7 light sussex eggs in a brinsea mini advance, at day 14 i knew i had 1 dud and 6 growing chicks.

At day 18 i filled both water pots and closed for the last time.

On day 20 3 eggs were rocking and rolling and by the evening they were talking too!

Day 21 - first pip, followed about 5 hours later by the first hatch, second pipped underneath and didnt progress for another 6 hours, i opened, turned the egg and closed again, he was out within minutes, shortly afterwards the third pipped and hatched and they proceeded to scramble around in the very small space of the brinsea kncoking the other 4 eggs all over the shop! LOL

At about 18 hours after the first chick hatched i opened grabbed all three and put in brooder, closed down again after topping up resevoirs with warm water as it was nearly empty.

never saw these eggs move or talk, gave up today day 23 - candled saw no movement but very large space air sack end so i opened them carefully egg sack end first.

Removed shell, then broke through white membrane, the chicks looked fully formed but were from looking at your forum what you call shrink wrapped in thier inner membranes ;-(

I removed all shell/membranes etc and it looks as though they stopped progressing a few days ago, fully formed apart from their stomachs not pulled up into thier bodies - i have them all in separate sandwhich bags so can take pics if it helps anyone with thier diagnosis on what went wrong and when.

Such a shame to get so close and then lose them - the 7th egg was a dud as expected early on.

So only 3 chickies for easter - piccy as my avatar.

:-(

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry to hear about your loss and congrats on the chicks you did hatch. It's sad when you lose a chick so late in the process. Here's a guide to the most common causes of incubation problems and suggested preventions. Hope it helps:

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8127.pdf

Back
Top Bottom