My first try!! Day 18

I counted day 1 as the day I set them. So would I still be on day 20? And tomorrow will be day 21? Still learning and trying to read up on everything but haven't heard anything about that

I believe you are on day 20, day 1 is counted after a full 24 hours of incubation. Let's say (for example) you set the eggs on Monday at 9am, day 1 would be Tuesday at 9am, day 2 would be Wednesday at 9am, day 3 would be Thursday at 9am and so on....

Hearing chirping and seeing wiggling sounds perfectly normal for day 20, good luck :thumbsup

I believe you are on day 20, day 1 is counted after a full 24 hours of incubation. Let's say (for example) you set the eggs on Monday at 9am, day 1 would be Tuesday at 9am, day 2 would be Wednesday at 9am, day 3 would be Thursday at 9am and so on....

Hearing chirping and seeing wiggling sounds perfectly normal for day 20, good luck :thumbsup

One of mine peeped and it's only day 19?? Over heard a few chirping and wiggling around

Thankyou so much! Helps a lot and now I'll know for my next batch!!

One of mine peeped and it's only day 19?? Over heard a few chirping and wiggling around

It has pipped at the wrong end of the egg. They should pip at the fat end of the egg not the pointy end. It has more than likely pipped on day 19 as it needed oxygen. Usually they pip into the fat end of the egg and into the air sac on day 19 ish, this is called the internal pip. Once the oxygen becomes low and the co2 high this kicks them into making their external pip through the shell to gain more oxygen. As yours is pipped at the pointy end it has missed the internal pip out of the hatching process and will need more time to hatch. They can be internally pipped for up to 24 hours so you need to take this into account with this chick.

Have a read of this link as you may need to assist this chick to hatch ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
You will need to give this chick as much time as you can, even though it has pipped it still needs to absorb the yolk amd blood vessels before hatching.

My first pip!!!! checked on them at 1:30 and went back out at 4! amazing how fast it happens. love sitting next to the incubator and listening to their chirps! Im hooked!

Congrats on your 2 pips!! How exciting :)

I'm on day 10 of my first ever hatch and really glad to see your success. It's encouraging, especially because my eggs are laying on their sides too and I worried if they were supposed to be upright like some incubators hold them.

So many things to worry about with a 1st hatch
1f62c.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom