My first year with Peking ducks, how do I get them through the winter?

You might need more ventilation. Ducks give off lots of moisture, and it can cause condensation inside their house without lots of ventilation. I build my duck houses with a vent along the top almost all the way around, and cover them securely with hardware cloth.

I also have chicken heaters for extreme cold nights, like below 30 degrees. It’s not necessary but I know one of my runners sleeps near it!
Thank you for the reply! I am considering removing the front panel and just using wire that can be removed for accessing. Do you think that would be too much?

What kind of coop do you have for them?
My ducks coops has hardware cloth on the front and back and tin for the roof and sides, so it's very well ventilated. When it gets very cold, we stack straw bales along the back so that the ducks have a windbreak. We also don't put any food or water in the coop, so it stays cleaner and drier.
I have cement mixing trays that we got from Lowe's that doubles as a bath/waterer. I do have another bucket for them just to drink out of, but they do love to swim and it helps them stay clean even when it's cold.
View attachment 2849210
Thank you for your reply! I posted what I have now!

Thank you for the reply! I am considering removing the front panel and just using wire that can be removed for accessing. Do you think that would be too much?
I think that's a great idea, though I wonder which way your wind normally comes from. If it comes from the front, I would probably just remove the top half and leave the bottom so they have a windbreak.

I think that's a great idea, though I wonder which way your wind normally comes from. If it comes from the front, I would probably just remove the top half and leave the bottom so they have a windbreak.
The wind general comes from western sides which is at the back of the coop. When the winds switch from the eastern sides the pig barn is directly in front of the coop.

I think that would be fine. Just make sure it's very secure from predators. If they seem cold you could always just put a piece of plywood up in extreme cold.

Back
Top Bottom