My Flock Story -- 2023

I've just been out to check on them.

With the current temperature at 38F, the thermometer under the Big Red Bulb is 83F. It's supposed to drop down to about 21F overnight.

The babies are snug under their plate surrounded by plenty of shavings. I didn't disturb them to take photos because I didn't want them getting frightened away from their warm area.

I've just been out to check on them.

With the current temperature at 38F, the thermometer under the Big Red Bulb is 83F. It's supposed to drop down to about 21F overnight.

The babies are snug under their plate surrounded by plenty of shavings. I didn't disturb them to take photos because I didn't want them getting frightened away from their warm area.
Impressive! :thumbsup

Baby bird report.

A little below freezing at 9am. I was slightly alarmed to hear no cheeping as I approached the brooder and to see no birds.

I opened up, lifted the plate, and saw a bunch of snoozing fuzzballs blinking at me.

I gave them their warm mash first, tended the rest of the flock, returned, and saw this:

IMG_20230204_095248094.jpg

It's 75 under the lamp and while I wouldn't claim that these 6-day-old babies are perfectly happy with the conditions, they are fine. Cheeping softly as they eat, not complaining shrilly.

I had to work this out in a hurry during an unusual cold snap early last spring: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ay-night-so-im-nervous-advice-wanted.1514590/

There are a number of ways of having an outdoor brooder in the winter, but this dual heat system seems to work well for my particular situation.

As soon as the cold snap is over I'll unplug the heat lamp.
I hear you. I can be seen/read strongly advocating against the red lamps but that is the all to common situation where first timer's use it as if it's the one and only heat option even inside their homes. When it comes to dangerous outdoor temps and newborns, you have to do what you have to do to make it just right, which clearly you have done. As soon as I started brooding outdoors I went looking for my red lamp. Haven't used it yet as ceramic works great in milder temps, but I surely would in very low temps. What are your thoughts on this kind of ceramic space heater? I installed one in a corner of my brooder, sitting up on a big paver with a hardware cloth protection frame around it last spring but temps were decent enough that I'd turn it on when I was out there to bring up the ambient temp and then off overnight. I feel like it was safe enough to leave on overnight if needed but I don't really know and haven't really heard of people using them. I doubt it will be cold enough in March for me to need what I call my level 3 heat, but you never know.....

heater.PNG

What are your thoughts on this kind of ceramic space heater?

I would expect it to become a fire hazard as the fan, motor, and heating elements quickly become coated with chick dander and dust from the bedding. :(

I am always EXTREMELY dubious about using any indoor-rated items in a chick brooder or chicken coop.

What are your thoughts on this kind of ceramic space heater?
I have one of these heaters. My coop (walk in) is divided with fencing, one side for the birds other side feed/supply storage. I have the heater on the supply side. I do not use it for heat for the birds only to run when it's super cold and I'm cleaning in there. I have Raynard's so very painful if my hands get too cold.

When I'm not working in there, it is off/unplugged and covered with a bucket. It still gets very dusty! It is hard to clean. Also it does not have a 3 prong grounded plug so if it gets wet it could give someone a shock.

Just wanted to add.

I would expect it to become a fire hazard as the fan, motor, and heating elements quickly become coated with chick dander and dust from the bedding. :(

I am always EXTREMELY dubious about using any indoor-rated items in a chick brooder or chicken coop.
Good points! I've cleaned the filter just from it sitting there unused. Thankfully it has a shut off but yeah, I'm no more confident about leaving it overnight so I'm sure it'll never happen. THANKS

Back
Top Bottom