My flock was free again!!!

Frizzlett98

Songster
9 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Southwest Virginia
We had a hawk attack over 2 months ago. One of my chickens was killed and to prevent this from happening again, we built a wire "roof" over the pen. They haven't been out of that pen since. We've added new pens but they ate all the grass and all the bugs were gone except for an occasional beetle, butterfly or ant that made the mistake of flying, or crawling, in. So I was feeling like letting them out since they are bigger and we've got some roosters on guard duty. So that's just what I did. Take a look!
This is the old shed we made into coop. Yes, it's leaning to one side but it's sturdy I assure you. We built the pen in the front after the attack and added the one on the right side for roosters we we're holding until we could sell them.
3 shy, calico Cochin roos that finally got up the courage to go outside.
Here's most of them. And my Chihuahua, Skooter on look out lol.
And it's under the barn for the Cochins.
Skooter on look out. My Silkie roo Leonard (right) and Silkie hen Tanner on the left. There's a white head on the far left which is our white Silkie hen, Binky. (She has a brother named Dinky)
Beauty is curious about my jacket.
There were some fights like this one between Birdie (right) and Piper (left). Lucy in the background trying to figure out how to get out.
Blurry, but one of the shy Cochins roos found him some hens.
Iggy (Frizzle Cochin in the back) decided she was done outside but my Tetra Tints Jippers (right) and Jiffy (left) stayed out as long as they could.
Peekaboo! Tilly (Red Sex Link) behind the tree.
My big girls free ranging for the first time since I got them.
Some would rather stay inside.
But I scooped them up and carried them out and they enjoyed it.
Lucy decided it was bed time. I have more pics but this summed it up. They're going out again tomorrow. Love to seem them this happy! Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
They look fantastic, and are certainly enjoying themselves. I love the leaning shed, it reminds me of a creative art piece I saw years ago lol

They sure loved their outing too!
thumbsup.gif
Sorry about your loss from the hawk
hugs.gif
. You did a wonderful job on the coop. I had to laugh, when you said that they had no more grass in their pen. I always say that chickens are 100 percent, all natural grass killers!!
big_smile.png
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! And I've got some coop cleaning to do. I haven't had the time but Tuesday's looking good. With 28 chickens it get messy really fast. Especially when the young chickens sleep in the nest boxes.
barnie.gif
They killed all the grass in the front pen within a month and we had 2 big roosters in the pen on the right and they killed all of that grass in under a week. Maybe some of it will grow back as they venture outside.

Back
Top Bottom