My foster DD's been granted a wish from Make-a-Wish...I'm clueless...

Southernbelle

Gone Broody
12 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Virginia
Our first foster child is a precious 6-year-old girl and she's recovering from a brain tumor. She's had surgery and has finished her chemo and radiation treatments, so we're in the wait-and-see-if-it-comes-back mode. She's been such a trooper through it all AND to have all the stresses of being a foster child...

We got word last week that she's been granted a wish from the Make-a-Wish foundation!!!
wee.gif

She has no idea how to dream BIG and I want her to have a memory she'll remember for the rest of her life! Once when we were cuddling, I asked her what she would wish for if she could do or have anything and she said she wanted a radio like my daughters.
hu.gif
She just has no CONCEPT of going on a vacation or meeting a movie star and I have no idea what to suggest (I've barely vacationed in my life, so I don't know what to tell her!)...so I was hoping to get some ideas from the creative folks on here...

Well, a tough one. She's probably so used to her condition now she isn't thinking of things that would be unrealistic to her. How bout asking her if there is someone she would like to meet? Or really, since she is so young and gone through so much, she isn't as materialistic as others her age are, and she is happy to be alive with a family who cares for her now. Best of luck!

Mabye ask her if she could do anything she wanted, what would she do? Just tell her you want to play a game of pretend and she gets to pick what you guys will do for a whole day and that it can be anything, no limits. I have to say thank you to you for being a part of this childs life and giving her the loving home she deserves!

I'm not really familiar with the types of things make a wish grants (yes, I do like it under my rock, thanks for asking), but my nearly 5 year old nearly fell over this evening when I mentioned that there was a real Cinderella castle in Florida and maybe someday we could go visit and see if Cinderella was home.

A trip to Disney maybe? Not very imaginative, sorry.

My heart goes out to all of you. I really hope she is able to find joy in her life no matter the duration.

I was going to suggest Disneyland, too. I don't live far from there but don't go often enough! It's so much fun and you guys would ALL have a blast. I remember the first time I went there. I was five years old and everything was so spectacular. The last time I went was about five years ago and it's still the same way.
I wonder if being a "princess" for a day (at Disneyland, no less) would be something she'd like?

Oh My, Disney for sure. Mickey and Minnie, fireworks every night, water parks. It's the ultimate child experience in my opinion. If you showed her the website she would surely fall in love
smile.png

Disney is about the only thing I can come up with, too! I've never been there so I can't get her excited about it. A princess castle would definately catch her interest! She loves playing dress-up!

Right now her favorite person is my 7-year-old DD!
tongue.png
Her social worker said she liked Hannah Montana but she doesn't seem that interested in Hannah. She doesn't ask to watch the show or listen to her music...

She likes Spongebob, but I think meeting a guy in a costume would ruin that interest...

Wow, I'm in tears. First off, thank you for opening your home and heart to a foster child. It breaks my heart that children have to go through something like that. I have to stop and count my blessings and thank God for healthy children.

Now, Disney would be my guess for a child to experience a real fantasy. What about a Disney cruise? That would be awesome. Good luck and I sure pray that she is healed now.

Quote:
You went at 5-years-old and still have the memories as an adult - that's great! I want her to remember this for the rest of her life!

Right now they've told me she has a 50/50 shot of beating this (I'm starting to cry) and just incase this is the only vacation she ever has I want it to be HUGE!

Back
Top Bottom