My friend just said he was creating a chicken addict anonymous group!

If you do a search here on BYC for Chicken addicts anonymous, or hatching addiction, or poultry addiction, you will find threads already active for some of us folks who enable .... Errr... Okay, enable us in our fascination od our chickens (and ducks and other fowl).

'Cause, who couldn't be????
love.gif

Yes, because BYC is more of a chicken addict enabler site! No room for more chickens? - See our coop section for ideas for new additions. Think you've settled in to your little flock? Visit breeds and see pictures of beautiful birds that you need to have. Not the right season to get chicks? Visit the shopping section and see if someone in your neighborhood is hatching adorable little fluffballs.
lau.gif
resistance is futile!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Not only does my DH recognize my addiction, he supports it.

Made me this rockin! hen house
87534_house_and_chicks_4-25_046.jpg

and whenever I tell him of a new treat for the girls he is out there testing it out! Such as the cabbage treat. He got a wire to hang it with and went out to test their cabbage tastebuds! Such a sucker.

I blame chicken math. I herd its a gene in humans that are attracted to chickens, My "doctor'' said so.
gig.gif
But in all seriousness when i started out, I wanted 3 chicks, I didn't care what they were just that they were not white, I have red sexlinks and white brhamas (i got them by mistake (TSC fault!!)) now next year im getting all kinds of color full birds = ]
BTW I didnt end up starting out with three, I got 17! = ] Thats half TSC fault tho

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh my gosh you are so lucky!! Mine isn't quite there yet. He IS building my coop, and it cracks me up when he makes suggestions for things like the brooder, etc, but he's not quiet enamored of them...yet...
wink.png

Quote:
Oh my gosh you are so lucky!! Mine isn't quite there yet. He IS building my coop, and it cracks me up when he makes suggestions for things like the brooder, etc, but he's not quiet enamored of them...yet...
wink.png

Yeah, I am very lucky, I have an awesome DH
big_smile.png
and yes the key word is "yet"....give him time
wink.png

My ladies are 27 days old now, and I've loved every minute of having them. They're outgrowing Brooder #3, a lawnmower box, so we'll be constructing Brooder #4 (the last of the series) out of a couple of huge moving boxes from Home Depot this weekend.

DH had to go to our local Agway the other day to pick up something or other, and came back saying, "They have a bunch of different chicks down there. They're really cute. Wait - you aren't going to go there now, are you?" I behaved myself, but only because the brooder light is still in use. I could always buy another light, of course...

I'm trying to lure a colleague of mine into chicken-keeping. She already has dogs and cats, a whole horde of rabbits, and a couple of pygmy goats, so she's no stranger to critter-keeping. I told her that she absolutely needs some chickens, as they're pretty low-maintenance, and, hey, everybody needs chickens! She's going to cave in soon. I know it. Heh heh heh...
jumpy.gif

I TOTALLY agree with ALL of you!!! I will talk to anyone who will listen or ot listen. I feel if you don't love chickens or understand them there is definately something wrong with you....LOL Anytime I see a new chicken magazine or book I have to buy it and I have been researching raising chickens and chicken breeds for years...just devoring any information about chikens and birds I could get ahold of. My DH is supportive of my addiction but he still does not completely understand. I have to visit with my girls several times a day but he might look at them once every other day...I don't know how he could stand it....? I even dream in chicken!!!LOL
D.gif

We ended up with our first babies today! We have a pretty little light yellow one we've name Buttercup, a light brown and gray we've named Shalarose (my five year old daughter did it!) and a darker brown and gray speckled which has been named Spot. These little ones are beyond adorable and love to be held, talked to, given treats and snuggled. I think they're going to end up being some mighty spoiled little critters. They are about 3 and a half weeks old and soooo soft. I'm in love!!

Another facet of my addiction is that I look for chickens everywhere. And certain yards just call out to have chickens in them. I shake my head at all the perfect bits of property which don't have chickens, and get a big, warm, happy feeling when I see chickens in a yard, especially if they are ranging freely. Coops are cool, but free range chickens are even more cool.

Back
Top Bottom