My friend wants a pet duck

As a mom of 4 (ages 5-18)- if my kids did their research and could tell me cost, health risks, husbandry, etc. And were able to answer (or look into) any questions that I had, I would consider it...

If her parents do allow her to have a couple, I think indian runners might be a good breed to start with.

I just wanted to add that 2 ducks is a bad number as if one passes away unexpectedly, you end up with an incredibly lonely and panicked duck and would then need to get an appropriate friend immediately, which is not always easy.

This, I learned the hard way...
Don't worry my friend is planning to get 3 ducks

If she isn't interested enough to do her own research, she has no business owning pets of ANY kind. They're not cute stuffed animals. They're living, breathing beings that deserve a safe, healthy life with a responsible pet owner.

Why?... She's 16
And next week she'll want something else. Ducks can live 10-20 years. What's she going to do with them once she leaves home? It's cruel to release a captive duck in the wild, so she would have to rehome them. Not a good plan. Hamster. They live 3-5 years. Or rat. Rats are cool and they love to be with their owner if they're given enough attention.

And next week she'll want something else. Ducks can live 10-20 years. What's she going to do with them once she leaves home? It's cruel to release a captive duck in the wild, so she would have to rehome them. Not a good plan. Hamster. They live 3-5 years. Or rat. Rats are cool and they love to be with their owner if they're given enough attention.
EXACTLY. I have to agree with you but she won't listen to not getting a duck. I recommended her bunnies,hamsters,guinea pigs,snakes etc she still wants a duck unfortunately. Unless you have another easy pet for her.

If she isn't interested enough to do her own research, she has no business owning pets of ANY kind. They're not cute stuffed animals. They're living, breathing beings that deserve a safe, healthy life with a responsible pet owner.
She watches YouTube videos and asks ME for advice as someone who owns ducks myself which I think is starting to get pretty annoying so now I sorta just ignore her when she brings up keeping ducks as pets. She also asks me how to make coops and her mom is worried that ducks can't survive the cold which is NOT true at all. Her parents have never had any experience with owning farm animals too so yeah. I'm just gonna tell her to do her own research and find a pet that is suitable for her and tell her to stop asking ME for advice for pets. If she talks about getting a duck or chicken as a pet ONE more time I'm gonna go ballistic lol.

Back
Top Bottom