My Frizzle Hen is mouth breathing and has had water come out of beak.

Chicknlady16

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2018
Hi there,
I have a beautiful frizzle hen who is about 6 months old and has just started laying eggs (beautiful deep green ones!).A few things about her have been worrying me:
1. On three separate occasions over the past 2 weeks I have seen a sour smelling liquid come streaming out of her mouth.
2. She almost always is breathing out of her mouth (I thought this was due to the heatin NC, but it may be related to the above issue).
3. Today she seems a bit lethargic: last to leave coop this morning. Hiding under bushes and not running to me for treats when I came outside. she is still eating and drinking, she just didn't seem motivated to beg for food like usual.
She laid an egg yesterday, so I don't think she is egg bound.
I picked her up last week after the second liquid spewing incident and her crop didn't seem enlarged or anything (though I am a newbie at feeling chicken crops).
All of my other chickens seem to be acting fine.
I dewormed them 2-3 months ago and treated the for coccidiosis about a month ago.
They have water available in their coop and in 2 other spots in the yard not including the puddles of condensation around the A/C that they insist on drinking.
They free range and also have food available in their coop as well as eat many treats (mealworms, probiotic treats, cottage cheese, yogurt).
The coop is very well ventilated with pine shavings for bedding.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom