my future big dog...which breed (corso, am-bull, great dane)

CC's ~ Trained & lived w/ them (American & Euro) Can be super versatile and clear-headed but YOU MUST research the breeders stock thoroughly (I would not purchase one from anyone who has less than 3 gens on their property for you to see)
AB's ~ Live w/ two currently & have owned several that have passed. SUPER versatile dogs, can be stubborn/willful again YOU MUST RESEARCH THE LINES!
Danes ~ Couldn't pay me to feed one.
Rottweiler ~ Couldn't pay me to feed an american bred/AKC Rott BUT I have a friend who breeds ADRK (Czech/Dutch lines) and his dogs are INCREDIBLE animals.
Presas/Dogo Canario (Two diff dogs) I would own a well bred Presa from proven stock, true utilitarian Molosser.
I would not own a Dogo Canario.
Bullmastiff ~ Couldn't pay me to feed one.
BdF ~ Nice dogs, just can't be bothered with hairy dogs that are always dirty w/ wet muzzles.
Wolfhound ~ NO Now a nice staghound YES!
Mastiff ~ Couldn't pay me to feed one.
Dogo ~ Nice dogs, too hard to find a decent one.

Have you considered adopting a dog from a rescue instead of getting a new puppy from a breeder? There are so many amazing dogs looking for homes that will end up being put to sleep if they don't find one. If you go to www.petfinder.com, you can put in all kinds of search criteria to find a dog that fits: size, gender, breed and so on. While there are many mixed breed dogs available (hey, you might find one that is a cross between two of the breeds you are considering), there are also many pure breed dogs that have just had bad luck so far and are looking for a great owner to come and adopt them. The nice thing about most rescues is that you can have the dog for a home visit to see how it will fit in with you and your other pets and don't have to finalize the adoption until you feel confident its going to work.

like i said..im definalty considering pure bred rescue, though i am looking for a young dog...if i go the breeder route it would only be from a very good breeder who extensivly health tests and knowns their lines.
right now im more interested in more info and breed characteristics from folks that have owned or do own (or have more experience than i) with certain breeds
...im certinaly no stranger to rescue (again i was a great dane foster) nor how to find a GOOD breeder so both those routes are an option
big_smile.png

tonka, thanks for that breakdown! thats exactly the kind of info i was hoping for

ive heard that dogos its very hard to find a good one...and presa too seem to be in the same boat, alot of "bandoge" type breeding setups and people using them as guard dogs...if im going a dogo or presa route i want a dog whos capable of doing what there bred to do, catch, protection, general all around good farm dog, who can take on any task given to them.

side note, i LOVE staghounds...
im a huge sighthound lover, just dont think im looking for a sighthound in my next dog lol. my uncle had a lurcher and a deerhound at one point, he used both for rabbit and fox...amazing dogs...but lordy do they have "hearing problems" lol...selectivly hard of hearing!
neither could be trusted around chickens or smaller cats either...

I just have one question to you...why would you want to wait until the dog is full grown before spaying/neutering? I think any aggression related to hormones would be ingrained already (as with my last abd).

just wanted to adress this...

100% because of growth plate devlopment and the connection between pediatric spay/neuter and certain cancers.

the hormones produced contribute to proper growth and development (physical and mental) and id rather not take those away untll the dog id done growing fully.
i feel its healthier for the dog in situations in which the dog can be properly handled (i always suggest spay/neuter at 6-8 months for anyone who doesnt seem to have the right mentality to work with and handle or control (and prevent breeding) on any dog...) to wait.

ive seen way too many issues with pediatric spay/neuter...
great danes seem to be a prime example. male danes never develop right when neutered before 2 years, they always stay tall and slim, never seem to propely fill out in the chest and always look like gangly teens...
but aside form asthetics there are links between early spay/neuter and health issues...
i plan to neuter at 2 yrs old, i feel most dogs in the size range im looking at are both pysiclaly and mentally mature at that point and have no more need for the hormones the testicles are producing... before that however those hormones play a large part in every aspect of development.​

I have lots of experience with both am bulls and corsos. They are very similar in temperament. I like them, but they are a bit too "contact-sport" for me! They show love by crashing into you! They are also fairly high energy for the first few years, and generally have very unbridled enthusiasm for life, much to the detriment of fragile things nearby. I'd be a little concerned for your nekkids, not because they would purposely harm them, but because they can be real oafs. It could be done, but be aware that you may need to make sure no squishing occurs.
I am surprised at the dog aggression you are hearing abuot w the dobes. I know lots of people who have 2, 3, 4 same sex, INTACT dogs running together without problem. Also, if you are only planning on one large dog, it shouldnt really be an issue. Most times it is same sex same SIZE that is a problem. Small dogs are often not seen as a threat.
Dogos are walking vet bills. Danes and wolfhounds are darned near impossible to find clean lines. I'd be concerned about a sighthound with nekkds and cats only when loose in the yard together, when their "gaze" could mistake the small animals for a bunny.
Of course, I'd add the Anatolian to the list...they'd protect your nekkids and chickens. Obedience isnt their strong suit though.

they'reHISchickens :

I can't help it: Check out the Black Russian Terrier. After you've owned one, no other dog will do.
Ours were both rescues.

I love BRTs, seriously considered one, but I cannot stand a bearded dog. Wet beards make me gag. Bummer b/c they really are cool dogs. MUST be careful about lines though, some are stable and some will take your face off.​

Cane Corsos are seriously high energy dogs. Pit Bulls fit the bill pretty well, Bulldogs too. Dogos are excellent too, but as said previously, they are pretty rare.

Back
Top Bottom