My gander attempted to mate with my duck

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cdnley, Feb 5, 2012.

1. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    I ordered baby ducks and geese (the company didn't sex them) last June. Seems like I have 2 male ganders, 2 drakes, and 2 ducks. My Pekin duck seems to wag her tail all the time and has been getting busy since the late summer. My other duck does not get any action (from what I have seen).
    Today I saw the gander mounting the Pekin. There was a huge ruckus about that action as hormones were flying. Ugh.
    Do I get a female goose for my ganders or do I just let things as they are? I just don't want my Pekin to get hurt from all the males and because I can't let them out until the pond melts they are all together in the pen.

What would you suggest?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I would suggest adding female geese.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I would suggest 2 female geese, that way the 1 female goose wouldn't be bred so much [maybe] My goose mates with his mate a female Muscovy but they paired off when he became of age, she hatched him out,. But that is way too many boys for those poor girls.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I too would suggest getting female geese and separating the ganders from the ducks before the ducks are injured. 4 males (2 of them very large) breeding 2 ducks is a recipe for disaster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by