my German Shepherd killed 3 of my hens

Our neighbor has a German Shepherd that mingles freely with his chickens but that is because he trained him properly that they are not to be hunted from the get go. From what I have been told, however, once a dog has killed a chicken they can never ever be trusted again freely around them. Once they have tasted that thrill they will not stop until they feel it again. I suggest a very tall fence or making sure the dog is well restrained in a house/kennel while the chickens are out free ranging.
You have not been told correctly.

I was told that on several separate occasions by experienced chicken owners so I took it to be true. I suppose one could try to retrain a dog who had already killed a chicken but personally I would never fully be able to trust it. Good fences make good neighbors and all that.
I have done the impossible repeatedly. The chicken killers now stay out with free-range chickens during the day and patrol roosting birds mostly in pens all night. This first hand, not second hand. It takes time, patience, work.

I have done the impossible repeatedly. The chicken killers now stay out with free-range chickens during the day and patrol roosting birds mostly in pens all night. This first hand, not second hand. It takes time, patience, work.
Would you care to share your methods? I'm sure a lot of people, including the original poster would like to know how it can be done. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom