My girl is eggbound. How to get it out? Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChickensInNM

Chirping
Sep 14, 2022
Well, found put why she's been having diarrhea. She's eggbound. I did her little bath with Epsom salts, and she seems to like it, but there's a large, fully formed egg that she's not passing. More water, and lubricant? It's right there, at the entrance to her vent. Would gently stretching her vent help?

Attachments

• 20220917_165040.jpg
    20220917_165040.jpg
    995.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220917_121106.jpg
    20220917_121106.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 5
Doing all that. Just got 2 calcium tabs. Got part of one in her. Feels like more than one egg, or maybe just me being new. I'm angry that the person she came from, never even noticed the poopy butt 😡. It's gotta be painful, and her belly feels warm. I'll be praying and treating her til Monday. No results, I'm taking her to the vet Mon a.m.

Has anyone put a hen down, if they couldn't get her to pass the egg(s)? I just now had my pinkie finger imside, and white liquid came out. So either egg with no shell, or infection. Gads, I've had these girls a week or 2, and poopy butt was that way the first day. I just thought it was stress. And she's still alive. 🙏🙏🙏

She was suffering. Pretty sure there were several eggs. She moaned every time I picked her up.. I learned something today, anyway. And how to hopefully prevent it happening again with this other hen. But it's something to watch for in older hens especially? Because their muscles aren't as good at contracting. One of the eggs in the first girl felt seriously huge. Now I see why some people cull older hens. But I'm not going to with this second girl. I will let her live as long as she can, as long as she's not suffering. This little snot pecks HARD at me when she takes from my hand 😱. And she gets along really well with the rooster.

Well, found put why she's been having diarrhea. She's eggbound. I did her little bath with Epsom salts, and she seems to like it, but there's a large, fully formed egg that she's not passing. More water, and lubricant? It's right there, at the entrance to her vent. Would gently stretching her vent help?

Every time I have tried to help a chicken it dies. Chickens die. Even if she lives through this, don’t breed her. I never come to a chicken’s rescue anymore but that’s just me. It’s mother nature’s way of helping you improve your chickens. It sounds harsh I know. Chickens can be family pets but they are really lousy at it. The mortality rate of chickens is too high to get attached. This is a hard lesson to learn. Always order double the amount of chickens you need because half of them are going to die. Dogs and cats never get sick and don’t die until they are 10+ years old. Chickens can never compete to be pets. They just can’t. Things like this happen. Nobody likes it. Your mistake isn’t getting attached. Your mistake is that you didn’t buy enough chickens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom