My Girl Ran away! Can anyone answer questions to help me find her?

You just never know. I had a little budgie when I was a kid that got out one time and I found him a week later. Not a street smart birdie but I did get him back. You just never know.

She has not come back yet. I printed a lost chicken poster and put one in everyone mailbox in case they see her.

Thanks eveyone who has replied. I do however still need answers.

How far can chickens run?

is there a way i can get her to come back?

Since she is new to my property will she even think to come back?

how long before i give up?

is there a good resource website that i can use to post lost pets info?

To answer your question about a lost pet resource, does your town have a local Facebook page? Mine does, and that's where people post lost/found animals. Also contact any local animal rescue groups, if somebody found your chicken, they may take her there. Are there any other people with chickens in your neighborhood? Maybe she joined another flock nearby?

Walk in ever widening circles around home concentrating search pattern in areas with trees, especially where you see shrubs and other things hen can get under. Look carefully for signs of scratching in leaf piles, mulch and compost. My pattern would involve walking 50 feet, stop look thoroughly and listen, then repeat.

To answer your question about a lost pet resource, does your town have a local Facebook page?. Are there any other people with chickens in your neighborhood? Maybe she joined another flock nearby?
Ill look and see if there is a facebook page for my town. Thanks!
I don't think there are any flocks near me, at least i don't know about any.
see attached aerial with property highlighted in red.

Was she a friendly enough chicken that somebody could have caught her? Or was she pretty independent? Chickens naturally want to be in a flock, so I would think that she would come back to yours if she doesn't find another flock to join. You asked how far chickens can roam- she could have gone pretty far, I would say she easily could have gone to any of the houses pictured on your last aerial map. Animals have a lot better sense of direction than we do, so even though your home was new to her, she could find her way back. Any chance she's trying to go back to her old home? How far away is that?

Was she a friendly enough chicken that somebody could have caught her? Or was she pretty independent? Chickens naturally want to be in a flock, so I would think that she would come back to yours if she doesn't find another flock to join. You asked how far chickens can roam- she could have gone pretty far, I would say she easily could have gone to any of the houses pictured on your last aerial map. Animals have a lot better sense of direction than we do, so even though your home was new to her, she could find her way back. Any chance she's trying to go back to her old home? How far away is that?

She was docile and easy to pickup in the coop but outside of the coop she would try and get away, just wouldn't try too hard. So its possible for someone to catch her. The farm she came from is about 25 min drive north east of my property. Do you think its possible for her to go that far in two days?

Back
Top Bottom