My girls are dying!!!

Molnut

Songster
Oct 1, 2015
Port Angeles, WA
In about 8 days, I have had two hens dying unexpectedly. They both were 3 and 1/2 years old and showed no symptoms of anything.
Both were acting sleepy in the morning and were dead within about three hours. They both looked beautiful. No sign of parasites, tumor, buildup of fluid in the abdominal cavity. They looked perfect! If I really looked, it could have been said that they were experiencing a little heavy breathing. But, there was no discharge, no swollen face , no symptoms of any respiratory infection that I know of. Has anybody experience this? This is so scary.

In about 8 days, I have had two hens dying unexpectedly. They both were 3 and 1/2 years old and showed no symptoms of anything.
Both were acting sleepy in the morning and were dead within about three hours. They both looked beautiful. No sign of parasites, tumor, buildup of fluid in the abdominal cavity. They looked perfect! If I really looked, it could have been said that they were experiencing a little heavy breathing. But, there was no discharge, no swollen face , no symptoms of any respiratory infection that I know of. Has anybody experience this? This is so scary.
No, but so sorry to hear that. Will you be sending them for a necropsy? Where I live there is virulent Newcastle‘s disease going around in surrounding area‘s, so that is what I have been fearful of.

Definitely send in to a lab for necropsy since Newcastle is going around and the mortality rate on it is very quick and very high.

Thanks. Yes, that was a relief!
My hens are "heritage" breeds so I, naively, thought they would be more resilient. They did come from a commercial hatchery. I guess that counts more than the breed itself. Live and learn....

Back
Top Bottom