My girls are scared of the snow!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by waitin on eggs, Nov 27, 2010.

1. waitin on eggs

waitin on eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Spartansburg,PA
    They are scared to come out, I opened their pop door and they all squeezed their heads out, began chattering and went back in.. So funny!![​IMG] We have about 2" or so, They keep peeking like they are deciding if they dare see what that weird white stuff is. Anyone else having this problem?

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    It took mine 3 days to learn to walk on the first snow of the season. I just laughed at them. [​IMG]

If you really want them to go out, you can always toss some hay or leaves on top the snow.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Mine won't come out in the snow. Glad we don't get much here. Today (when it gets light) will be their first day out since Monday.

Imp- Come to think of it I'm scared of snow too. Maybe they're not so dumb. [​IMG]

4. Freshegglvr

Freshegglvr New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Our girls looked at the first snow and said we're not going out there! We had 5" at that point. Later in the day, 5 more fell. They came out about 3:00 in the afternoon and have been out everyday since. They even ventured out last Saturday and walked all over the yard --it had iced up and was solid. It was a balmy 15 degrees.

Seems as though they've adapted! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by