My girls first eggs!

sanctuaryworker

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 7, 2009
Sunshine State
So my beautiful girl turkeys laid their first eggs, they were hatchings last November and this is their first time laying.
turkey.jpg

The first three eggs I found were beautiful!
100_5996.jpg

And then I found this one... its shell is soft like paper and moldable. (which I dont think is actually a word!) I am a little concerned... are we missing something in their diet do you think or is this just a dud?

100_6002.jpg

100_6003.jpg

ALso does anyone know how often turkeys lay?

I've noticed that if one of my coturnix hens lays too early in the day, the eggs will be white (supposed to be brown with dark brown to black speckles) and have a soft shell like a reptile egg. If you get another one, I'd up the calcium.

Quote:
I have a coturnix hen that does that too and i cant get her to eat oyster shells to help her. I thnk im going ot have to invest into some eitiher liquid calcium or powder calcium just for her brattyself! LOL!

Congrats on teh turkey eggies!!!
celebrate.gif

Sometimes they lay soft shelled eggs when they first begin to lay; you should be offering free-choice oyster shell for them. This will give them the calcium they need for strong egg shells. Turkey eggs are so pretty! Congrats!

Hatch and sell!!! Lol.

Niki, I mix my oystershell into the food and feed it that way. I guess you're not supposed to do it this way when they're laying, but they won't eat it otherwise, and the shells all seem to be good, except for when someone lays more eggs than she's supposed to. Goofy ladies, lol.

Back
Top Bottom