My girls won't go in their coop!

bigdaddyjts1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013
Brand new to this. I have 3 beautiful hens 12-14 weeks old. They will not go in and out of their coop. I have to physically put them in at night and in the mornings they won't come down. When I open the door they just come over and look up at me. Is there anything I can do to train them. They refuse to use the walkway/ladder I've built. I close them in at night for safety and security.

I've been trying that but they still refuse. I will keep,trying, maybe it will just take time!

Is this a new coop for them? How long have they been in it?

Chickens hate change, but will eventually adapt. Just leave the door open for them, and they will eventually wander out. You'll probably have to put them back inside at night for 3-7 days once they start going out, but after that they'll get it on their own.

Yes, brand new coop and brand new flock. Thank you for the tip. You guys put my mind at ease!

I go through this 2-3 times a year with various cohorts of chicks. They are always afraid to go out at first, but once they go out, they don't go back in at night without a bit of help. Takes 2-7 days of going out just at dark, catching them, and putting them in for them to get it--depending on their intelligence, I think!

I figured as much, I'm just new to the game. A little OCD and I'm sure I'm over thinking and worrying too much. Thank you guys for the help!

Chickens are TOUGH. There's not much you can do to mess them up, so relax and enjoy the show.

They'll go out in all kinds of weather, once they get used to it. This is the first real snow of the season for us. You should have seen the traffic jam at the chicken door this morning, with the lead girls standing on the doorstep refusing to go out and the rest of the flock pushing from behind, not knowing what the holdup is. They'll jump out this morning, and then go right back into the coop and complain about it for a day or so. By the weekend, they'll have forgotten how "scary" the snow is and will be outside with snow piled up on their backs in a blizzard. Silly creatures.

Back
Top Bottom