My Good Deed for the Day with pictures Update page 5.

That made me cry; how sweet and kind of you to help that poor owl. Many people would have simply seen him as a predator and shot him. Good karma will surely come your way, what a kind thing to do.

I saved a chipmunk over the summer who was strangling in deer netting that I had used over my garden. Once I managed to cut all the netting from around his little neck and legs, he sat on my hand for almost an hour. I assume he was confused and in shock.

I am so happy to read this story, it just made my day. Incidentally, did the vet charge you or do this at no charge?

Great job, what a beautiful thing (both your deed and the owl).
thumbsup.gif

First of all the owl did not eat my arm. I had to take the mitten off to show my DW how to use the camera.
smile.png
That is probably why my mouth is also open--having to give instructions although it is her camera. The owl wasn't the least bit feisty except for clacking its beak at me when I first approached, it sat calmly during the whole ordeal of unwrapping 50 lb. monofiliment from it's wing. (This may be because I talked to it all the time in my chicken calming voice--once you speak "bird" it comes easily to you.) Once I finished it hopped up on the arm and just sat there--I suspected it would have flown off if it were ok--and remand on the arm all the way up to the house, through a couple of pictures, until I loaded it into the cat carrier. I was prepared for the worse--that is a thick pair of mittens and a heavy coat. I think it would have gladly stayed on the arm for the trip to the vets had I been willingly to chance it. The vet did not charge anything for this. He is good enough to take wild birds and repair them--I once took a nest of orioles that fell in a storm to him. It's a 3-vet practice and he specializes in birds as well as other pets. Once he fixes any injuries he calls a local rehabilitater and she takes them the rest of the way.

ETA: The owl, BTW, would not have been any threat to my chickens--unlike the Great Horned one in the other post. There is more feathers there than bird and I suspect it weighed less than a couple of pounds--I was kind of surprised at how light it was when I picked it up. It looked more threating on the ground--it did try to make itself larger as I approached--than it did once it was calmed down.

Last edited:
OH MY GOODNESS WOODMORT!!! I just opened this thread and my jaw dropped when I saw the pic of you and the owl. You are a dead ringer for my Uncle Levi. You guys could be twins. I thought "What the heck is Uncle Lee doing on the chicken forum?" Anyway good job on the good deed for the day. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort.

Woodmort, it is so nice to know that there are people like you who have a love and respect for living creatures. You truly did a good deed today. While I would not hesitate to send a predator to meet it's maker if it was after one of my animals, there is no need to exterminate wildlife simply because it is there.

Quote:
Wow, a doppleganger. Actually my grandmother on my dad's side had a brother that lived in Colorado if that's where your Uncle Levi lives.

Back
Top Bottom