My goose has an infected foot

It appears her foot is beginning to auto-amputate. Notice the dark color. Her immune system may be cutting off circulation to the foot due to infection or dying tissue.

It may be possible to save the foot with daily soaks in Epsom salts and spraying with Vetericyn several times a day.

If she does lose the foot, it appears she's already learned to make do with one foot.

It appears her foot is beginning to auto-amputate. Notice the dark color. Her immune system may be cutting off circulation to the foot due to infection or dying tissue.

It may be possible to save the foot with daily soaks in Epsom salts and spraying with Vetericyn several times a day.

If she does lose the foot, it appears she's already learned to make do with one foot.
At what point does a decision have to be made to aid in the amputation if the foot doesnt show improvement, so the infection or necrosis dont spread? Not the OP but always wanting to learn.

She still uses both her feet to get around

At what point does a decision have to be made to aid in the amputation if the foot doesnt show improvement, so the infection or necrosis dont spread? Not the OP but always wanting to learn.
That's the one good thing about auto-amputation in poultry. The immune system cuts off circulation to the wounded extremity so that infection is contained. There is nothing to do but watch this remarkable process. The tissue will darken even more until it's black and dried up. It will detach on its own and drop off.

There is probably pain involved until all circulation is cut off. You can give 81 grain chewable aspirin twice a day.

She will learn to use the resulting stump to help her balance. If she were mine, I would build her a prosthetic foot after the stump completely heals.

That's the one good thing about auto-amputation in poultry. The immune system cuts off circulation to the wounded extremity so that infection is contained. There is nothing to do but watch this remarkable process. The tissue will darken even more until it's black and dried up. It will detach on its own and drop off.

There is probably pain involved until all circulation is cut off. You can give 81 grain chewable aspirin twice a day.

She will learn to use the resulting stump to help her balance. If she were mine, I would build her a prosthetic foot after the stump completely heals.
This is amazing.

Thank you for the advice, I will try this and post an update later on

Is it very cold right now where you live? What have the temps been at night? Frostbite can look that way, and if her foot has been wet in freezing weather, that could happen. That could be another reason for the swelling and color difference. Does she have a sore or breast blister on her breastbone?

Is it very cold right now where you live? What have the temps been at night? Frostbite can look that way, and if her foot has been wet in freezing weather, that could happen. That could be another reason for the swelling and color difference. Does she have a sore or breast blister on her breastbone?
She doesn't have any sores, and it only started getting cold after I brought her in about a week ago

I agree, it appears she is losing circulation to that foot most likely from the injury than anything else, as waterfowl tend to fair cold weather extremely well. You could either let nature take its course and see how the leg fares, or euthanize her. The problem that's often apparent with these birds is they develop secondary conditions.

For example, judging from the picture it appears your goose is developing a sore on legs hock because she's applying more pressure to that area. Left untreated, that area will become infected and she will be left with another infected part of leg. You'll also likely start to wet feather develop, arthritis, sticky eye, and overall poor condition if they're not cared for with extreme attentive care.

A lot of birds just go down-hill after things like this, but if you want to give her a shot, for the leg, I may soak that leg in Epsom salts often, and start applying an antibacterial ointment to the area once a day to help ward/fight infection. Ensuring she is getting in deep water daily to relieve the weight off her legs, and making sure when she's not in water, she's on soft padded grounds to prevent sores would be a good idea. Keeping her on a diet formulated for waterfowl like Mazuri, and adding B vitamins, greens, and omega-3s may help prevent, and treat ongoing leg issues.

Back
Top Bottom