My goose hasn’t laid an egg 3 days

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
I don’t know if she’s egg bound she’s acting ok mostly normal but a few days ago she was trying to go broody and I didn’t want that because her sleeping arrangement right now is in a garage addition room on side of my house , and I can’t leave that door open during the day for her if her gander to go in and out as they please. So I physically picked her up off her nest and took her outside, it only had one goose egg and one fake egg in it anyway . After that , she kept trying to get back in that room, even she flew over a 5 ft fence to get to the door and kept honking loudly, so I let her back in also the gander with her, I thought maybe she had to lay an egg and maybe she only wants to lay them in there,, even though I made a leanto for them outside with straw and she has a nest there too. In years past she laid eggs in both places. Now I’m concerned about why she stopped laying? I think either eggbound or maybe ,, it’s because she mentally “went broody” and told her body to stop laying ??? Since then I put the fake egg in her outside nest but she won’t even go in to there. Is it possible she might be fine and not eggbound but just she was broody- interrupted ???

Feel her a bit, If it feels like an egg is in there then she's eggbound. Is she lethargic? Is she not interested in things she normally is?
ok I did that yesterday when I caught her and I gave her some calcium gluconate , and I didn’t feel anything, but I will check again tonight when they are in so it’s easy to catch her, and not get murdered by her gander

When you catch her this evening give her another dose of Cal glu it won't hurt her in the least and if she has an egg in there it will help her pass it. Geese are finicky my goose hasn't laid an egg in 5 yrs she's almost 11and today she was in the Muscovy house laying on nothing:rolleyes:

When you catch her this evening give her another dose of Cal glu it won't hurt her in the least and if she has an egg in there it will help her pass it. Geese are finicky my goose hasn't laid an egg in 5 yrs she's almost 11and today she was in the Muscovy house laying on nothing:rolleyes:
Oh I did not read this until this morning. Maybe I can catch her again today. I did not feel any egg in there though. I’m starting to think she might be beginning a molt . Possibly. She looks a teeny bit disheveled and I saw a few feathers on the ground. Would a molt make her stop laying ? This is her 3rd season . Last 2 years she layed for 3 months. It’s only been one month of lay and then stopped now . so far this year.

My geese always molt after breeding season is over. Not sure but I think that is the norm for all geese. If an egg is stuck you can't always feel it. How is her appetite and her poop both normal? when you picked her up to examine did you notice any weight loss? Keel bone sharp like she has lost weight.
Molt will stop laying.
Anyway, you can give her access to her favorite laying spot just to see if anything changes?

I don’t know if she’s egg bound she’s acting ok mostly normal but a few days ago she was trying to go broody and I didn’t want that because her sleeping arrangement right now is in a garage addition room on side of my house , and I can’t leave that door open during the day for her if her gander to go in and out as they please. So I physically picked her up off her nest and took her outside, it only had one goose egg and one fake egg in it anyway . After that , she kept trying to get back in that room, even she flew over a 5 ft fence to get to the door and kept honking loudly, so I let her back in also the gander with her, I thought maybe she had to lay an egg and maybe she only wants to lay them in there,, even though I made a leanto for them outside with straw and she has a nest there too. In years past she laid eggs in both places. Now I’m concerned about why she stopped laying? I think either eggbound or maybe ,, it’s because she mentally “went broody” and told her body to stop laying ??? Since then I put the fake egg in her outside nest but she won’t even go in to there. Is it possible she might be fine and not eggbound but just she was broody- interrupted ???
My female did the same thing. Took a hiatus and i got worried and counted what she had in nest, 4 eggs. Two days later she was back on and after she got off there was 7 😮

I’m not sure what the behaviors are of an eggbound goose, but chickens act differently and look different when this happens. Lethargy, drooping tail, and pale complexion. If she’s not doing anything weird I would just wait and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom