My goose is sitting on eggs do I need to isolate her from the flock?

Ha, when I saw the picture (and yes, lovely geese!) the first thing I thought was "How did she get a picture with their mouths closed and their necks not all stretched out?"
lau.gif

Hey!! There's a Gosling!! April, the first one to go broody is following her little one all around the yard, and Autumn has stolen the rest of April's eggs.
They are very sweet and calm with me, but will hiss and squawk when any one else goes near. Before nesting season they were sweet and calm with the whole household, as well as all our regular visitors.

Hey!! There's a Gosling!! April, the first one to go broody is following her little one all around the yard, and Autumn has stolen the rest of April's eggs.
They are very sweet and calm with me, but will hiss and squawk when any one else goes near. Before nesting season they were sweet and calm with the whole household, as well as all our regular visitors.
Love the pics, well thats whats nice about 1 hatching early there was a mommie for it and the eggs that haven't hatched have a broody for them... Congrats!!

Here are my angry birds. Well, one looks sort of calm (comparatively). What you can't see is the goose to my right snapping and tugging at the leg of my shorts.

Here are my angry birds. Well, one looks sort of calm (comparatively). What you can't see is the goose to my right snapping and tugging at the leg of my shorts.

They sure do look upset. are they nesting out in the open, don't you worry about preds. If my ducks or goose was to stay out one night they be gonners around here.

They sure do look upset. are they nesting out in the open, don't you worry about preds. If my ducks or goose was to stay out one night they be gonners around here.

Yeah they don't like it when I get too close, but I wanted to get a pic of the nest. Partly for this thread and partly just because.

They are nesting in the open. I got a gaggle of 7 geese (along with 3 turkeys and 4 scovies) as adults and they'd never really been confined at all. I have the space, and while I have preds, they're like 3 years old so they know the score. They just roam around and find their spots. I did lose the Rouen duck that came with them (who thought he was a goose) but everyone else is doing well.

Probably because I wasn't kidding about that goose tugging on my shorts. When the geese in the nest sound the alarm the other 5 are right there in a flash. I think you'd have to be a very determined predator to overcome 7 angry American Buff geese. My two turkeys are setting as well. While they're calmer there seems to be some sort of mafia-esque arrangement where the geese get first dibs on any treats or scratch thrown out and everyone benefits from a lot of large, angry, territorial geese. (they're generally not mean with me, though, unless I get close to the nest)

The other benefit to unconfined geese? I have yet to mow my lawn this year. Course I have to scrape the patio off every other day but...

The only birds I have confined at night are the chickens.

Yeah they don't like it when I get too close, but I wanted to get a pic of the nest. Partly for this thread and partly just because.

They are nesting in the open. I got a gaggle of 7 geese (along with 3 turkeys and 4 scovies) as adults and they'd never really been confined at all. I have the space, and while I have preds, they're like 3 years old so they know the score. They just roam around and find their spots. I did lose the Rouen duck that came with them (who thought he was a goose) but everyone else is doing well.

Probably because I wasn't kidding about that goose tugging on my shorts. When the geese in the nest sound the alarm the other 5 are right there in a flash. I think you'd have to be a very determined predator to overcome 7 angry American Buff geese. My two turkeys are setting as well. While they're calmer there seems to be some sort of mafia-esque arrangement where the geese get first dibs on any treats or scratch thrown out and everyone benefits from a lot of large, angry, territorial geese. (they're generally not mean with me, though, unless I get close to the nest)

The other benefit to unconfined geese? I have yet to mow my lawn this year. Course I have to scrape the patio off every other day but...

The only birds I have confined at night are the chickens.
I know what you mean about having to wash off the patio off but i have to do it every night. gets pretty gummed up with poop with 12 muscovies 1 Embden gander and a horde of chickens running on it Course I'd not have it anyother way. I am trying so hard to find a goose for my gander, He is going to be 5 tomorrow and It is so hard to find any geese in my part of the country.
sad.png
Good luck on your hatches looking forward to seeing pics.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom