My Guinea Broke a Huge Chunk Off Upper Mandible (Beak) Need Advice!

Gwynny7

Songster
Apr 4, 2016
Eastern, Pennsylvania
Hello BYC!

I need some more advice. One of my guineas broke a part of his upper beak off yesterday. I don't know how as I was not home at the time. I came home to find his beak covered in freshly dried blood. His upper beak is now shorter than his lower beak making eating / drinking very difficult. I cleaned the wound with Vetericyn as suggested and separated the bird from the flock. He definitely wanted to eat this morning (just crumble and cracked corn--no grit or oyster shell) but seems to have trouble eating since his lower beak is now longer than his upper due to this injury. I am needing suggestions on what to feed him (soft food wise). I am going to try to give him some water using a small syringe. I may even try giving some mashed up banana to him if you think that is safe to do.

I am going to try using deeper food and water dishes (read on BYC) to see if it helps him to scoop up his food rather than biting it with the beak since it is painful. I do not want to try to tube feed as I have no experience what so ever and I would be afraid to hurt the bird. I do not have the funds to take my bird to a vet.

I will try to post a photo of the beak! Please give me any advice! :)

Is he still having trouble eating? That little bit should grow back, I think. When one of my guineas broke his beak it was because he was hit by a car. Unfortunately he had other internal injuries as well and passed away a couple of days later. :( He was one of my favorites. I hope your guy is okay.

Is he still having trouble eating? That little bit should grow back, I think. When one of my guineas broke his beak it was because he was hit by a car. Unfortunately he had other internal injuries as well and passed away a couple of days later.
sad.png
He was one of my favorites. I hope your guy is okay.
I am sorry your guinea got hit by a car!
hit.gif
That is horrible! My guinea seems to be improving. He is actually wanting to eat now which is great! I think it just took a few days for him to "learn" how to eat again with the beak being shorter on top. He is not very keen on eating straight crumble so I have been feeding him white millet (even though I use it for training) with some fine ground up feed and cracked corn. So far that seems to be working. The first few days I had to hand feed him with a syringe for water and food. I am hoping his beak grows back!

I have one that broke half of the upper beak. All we can do is let it grow back and watch he doesn't injure himself there in the meantime. It's wintertime now in Maine, so everything they peck....is rock hard. Doesn't make it any easier on him.

Back
Top Bottom